1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WD20EURS--$100 at newegg 'til Tuesday

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by unitron, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Oct 1, 2012 #1 of 52
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
  2. Oct 1, 2012 #2 of 52
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
  3. Oct 1, 2012 #3 of 52
    BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
  4. Oct 1, 2012 #4 of 52
    lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    To remove the time out park control that these drives have, some TiVos don't work well with this turn on. The software is a free download, just look up widdle3 on Google if you ever get one of these WD drives to upgrade a TiVo.

5. Oct 1, 2012 #5 of 52
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You misspelled it and made me fear for a moment that I had.

It's wd, for Western Digital, and idle, for, well, idle, and I guess there were 2 previous versions.

Some, if not most, of the WD Caviar Green drives have a feature called "Intellipark".

If the drive hasn't been called upon in X number of seconds, it parks the heads and, I think, quits spinning the platters.

It basically puts the drive to sleep.

The idea is to save electricity.

TiVos weren't designed to deal with sleeping hard drives.

When a TiVo does a soft reboot, or what would also be called a warm boot on a computer, which is basically a reset without disconnecting the electricity, the motherboard quits talking to the drive for a while as it boots back up, loading it's own code into memory (RAM) before looking for a hard drive and loading the rest of the operating system from it.

By that time, a WD drive with Intellipark at the default setting has gone to sleep.

It doesn't wake up right away.

The motherboard interprets that as no communication with the drive and resets itself to try again.

Which means by the time the drive wakes up and says "here I am, what do you want?" the motherboard isn't yet listening, so the drive goes back to sleep, so it's asleep again when the motherboard gets to the point of calling on it.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

The wdidle3 utility allows you to either disable Intellipark or to set the time it waits to a very high number, like 300 seconds (5 minutes), which effectively does the same thing, because a re-booting TiVo will try to talk to the drive within the first 60 seconds or so.

A momentary power failure can cause a TiVo to soft boot, and if it downloads an OS update it'll store it in the alternate partitions and wait 'til the middle of the night to reboot and switch to the alternate partitions, and that's when Intellipark can put it into an endless reboot loop if it's not been dealt with.

6. Oct 1, 2012 #6 of 52
    BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Hmm. I upgraded a TiVo to this drive a week ago and didn't know about this utility that you speak about. So far the TiVo is acting just as it should and I hope it stays that way.

7. Oct 1, 2012 #7 of 52
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If necessary, you can run it later, it works at a level "below" the software on the drive platters where all the TiVo stuff is, so it won't break anything.

8. Oct 1, 2012 #8 of 52
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  9. Oct 1, 2012 #9 of 52
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm halfway tempted to order one and return the one I just bought from them for a refund, just for making me feel like I got jerked around by them.

10. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Contact Amazon - they may give you a credit.

11. tivohaydon

tivohaydon New Member

Mar 24, 2001
    These things do change in price almost daily so don't be too sore. I know I'm pretty happy that I purchased a bunch of drives right before the floods that sent drive prices skyrocketing. Most of the time with technology driven items consumers are on the losing side of the equation since they always get cheaper(*) over time.

(*) notable exceptions are television, cellular and banking :)

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    This model didn't change in price almost daily 'cause I watched it for about a month before I pulled the trigger a little under 2 weeks ago and kept watching up until yesterday.

It wasn't until today, when newegg put it on sale, that Amazon magically dropped it 16%, or as I put it in an email to them, that they suddenly destroyed 16% of the value of my purchase.

We'll see what they have to say in return later, perhaps.

13. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When you talk about television being an exception to the cheaper over time rule, do you mean the hardware, or the cable bill?

If you say anything about being a Time-Warner customer, I'll have my answer.

14. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Look at the name of the responding CSR. :)

Of course I was already smiling before I got that far down the page.

They still have flaws, but my opinion of Amazon's intent to do the right thing has risen somewhat, and they'll probably get that $20 back off of me before long.

15. jlin

jlin New Member

Nov 20, 1999
    Santa Monica
    I have an S3 with an older 2TB Seagate green drive from perhaps a year ago.

I'm thinking about buying this drive and swap it out and keep the Seagate as a backup.

Would there be any speed improvement on using this drive (64MB cache) and what 'disk cloning' utility should I use to copy the content over from the original 2TB Seagate?

16. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Would there be any speed improvement? I have no idea.

However, since the EURS is designed to be an A/V drive (worry more about keeping up with the video stream 24/7 than spend time on error correction) I'd use it in a TiVo and a non-AV drive in a computer where you worry more about data integrity, and $100 for a 3 year warranty 2TB drive is a good price just now.

As to how to "Xerox" the Seagate...

Assuming you've successfully expanded that Seagate to use all of the space on it and the LBA number of both drives is identical

then burn yourself a copy of the MFS Live cd v1.4 from mfslive.org.

Burn it as an image so that it's bootable.

Connect only the Seagate and the new WD and a cd or dvd drive to the computer and make sure it's set to boot from the cd.

After it boots and settles down to a command line prompt, enter

fdisk -l

(that's a lowercase L)

and see which one it says is

/dev/sda

and which one it says is

/dev/sdb

assuming the cd drive isn't one of those.

Also, since the Seagate has TiVo partitions on it and the WD will be blank, you can then do

pdisk -l

and it'll show one with an Apple Partition Map (that'll be the Seatgate) and one without any partition info.

If you can't get it set up so that the Seagate is

/dev/sda

and the WD is

/dev/sdb

then adjust the command string I'm about to give you accordingly so that the source drive (the Seagate) comes first and the target (the WD) comes second and the cd drive isn't mentioned.

The command is

dd_rescue -v /dev/sda /dev/sdb

This assumes that there's nothing going wrong with the Seagate and you don't need to enter any additional parameters to make it do anything special to try to rescue data from a failing drive.

The verbose option

-v

means it'll maintain an ongoing onscreen display of its progress as it "Xeroxes" the Seagate to the WD.

If the screen goes blank after a while, hit the spacebar to bring it back up.

Be sure that you're sure that you know for an absolute fact which drive is which when it comes to the whole

/dev/sd?

thing, so that you don't wind up filling the Seagate with Gigabytes of empty.

When it finally finishes copying a few hours later, enter the command

poweroff

and the computer will shut down.

Before you do the copy, get the WD diagnostic software and run the long test on that new drive to make sure there's nothing wrong with it.

And after you get the TiVo up and running with the WD, hang on to the Seagate for a few days "just in case" before you do anything else with it.

If that's an original OLED S3 (TCD648250) and not an S3 HD, how about run WinMFS on the Seagate and copy and paste the output of mfsinfo so I can see the partion table and such.

If it's an HD (TCD652160, or TCD658000), don't bother.

17. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    What special about the name? :confused: Is he on this forum?

18. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    John Lennon or Lenin?

Ever see the old Firesign Theatre album cover* All Hail Marx Lennon, with Groucho and John?

*actual album name "How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You're Not Anywhere at All"

19. jlin

jlin New Member

Nov 20, 1999
    Santa Monica
    It's an HD TCD652160

Thanks for your detailed instruction. Is there Windows/GUI-based cloning software I can use? I'm a little scared of command prompt-based instructions.

20. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    I've used 6 WD AV-GP drives in 3 premieres and 3 tivohd units and never used this. All function perfectly.