1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WD expander suddenly not recognized by TiVo Premier

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tgemmill, Jun 17, 2013.

1. tgemmill

tgemmill New Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I have been using a WD 1TB DVR expander with a TiVo Premier for the past 14 months. All of a sudden TiVo is not recognizing it. There had been no changes in the setup. I have now reset the TiVo twice and then tried to run the SMART tests, but even then the drive wasn't recognized. I have reset the TiVo w/o the drive for now, but really want to fix this problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
  2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Hello tgemmill welcome to the TiVoCommunity.

About all you can do is check that the expander has power, the light is on and that both ends of the eSATA cable are firmly connected.

Unfortunately if you did the three Thumbs down to continue without the expander then all programs recorded after installing the expander are now lost.
  3. tgemmill

tgemmill New Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I knew that it wouldn't save the shows when I did the three thumbs down. Fortunately I do have most of them on other TiVos throughout the house so I wasn't too concerned about that. I really want to get the expander up and running again because that is our main TiVo unit.

It had power and the light was on. I suppose a call to WD tomorrow is in order. But thanks for your quick response. It's much appreciated.
  4. WO312

WO312 Active Member

Jan 24, 2003
    I highly recommend that you forget about using an expander and instead put a 2 TB drive inside the Tivo.
  5. SeekAGeek

SeekAGeek New Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Exactly same experience. Any way to test the expander offline?
  6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It's a drive in an eSATA external enclosure.

If you can figure a way to hook the data cable to a PC, you can run WD's own diagnostic software long test.

Either get the version from WD's web site that's an .iso you can burn to a cd-r as an image so that you can boot from it, or burn yourself a bootable copy of the free Ultimate Boot CD, which has the WD software and a bunch of other useful stuff.

Of course you need to make sure the power supply for the enclosure is still working properly, and you need to check the eSATA cable that connects the enclosure to the TiVo.

Lots of people have had the cable go bad, even though it's just been sitting there connecting the two and not moving.