1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WD Drive Options

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Ollie_3151, May 26, 2012.

1. Ollie_3151

Ollie_3151 New Member

May 26, 2012
    I am looking to replace hard drive in my TCD663160.

What is the recommendation for Western Digital Drive currently?

Can I install 2GB drive or should I stick with 1GB drive?

What is a good link to walk through the upgrade process?

2. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
  3. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    The link quoted above is the place to go for drive selections but you should really ask yourself how much storage you need. I've got 1TB drives in my Premeire and S3HD but I don't really use anywhere near that much space because I don't tend to save recordings. If you want to save a significant number of recordings, then you might consider adding drive space to your computer instead of the Tivo and transferring them to your PC for safe keeping.

4. Ollie_3151

Ollie_3151 New Member

May 26, 2012
    Many thanks. I will give it a go

5. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I agree, although with drive prices now down back to nearly where they were before the flooding, I would say one needn't ask nearly as pointedly.

To that I would respond, "Why not?" After all, it is the TiVo that does the saving, not you.

I agree. The TiVo is a rather poor place to store programs indefinitely. What I would say, is once the TiVo's hard drive is large enough that given the family's recording habits the FIFO storage becomes infinite, one needn't bother to expand further. For most families, this is probably between 500G and 750G. The question is not, "How much space is on the hard drive?", but rather, "How old is the oldest (non-KUID) recording on the TiVo?" As long as that amount of time is greater than the family needs to reasonably watch any program they do not want to miss, any further expansion of the TiVo produces rapidly diminishing returns on the investment. Any programs they want to watch more than once should indeed be moved to external storage, which can not only be readily expanded more or less without limit, but also can be easily backed up in case of drive failures.

6. Ollie_3151

Ollie_3151 New Member

May 26, 2012
    My TiVo is a TCD663160 (Australian TiVoHD) and I replaced the drive with WD WD-AV 1TB WD10EURX. Using the WinMFS and the quick start process (from the mfslive site) I had the Tivo up and running in about hour.

Hardest part of the process was
    - Sorting out the SATA ports on the old desktop to use WinMFS
    - Tools to get into the case.

The software process was very straight forward.

I will test it out of the next week and see how it goes.

Many thanks to all

7. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Just as a heads up, you can use inexpensive USB to IDE/SATA adapter cables to do Tivo imaging. In fact, that is all I've ever used and I've imaged several S1, S2, and S3 drives. Done them mostly with my desktop and WinMFS but also have done it with my laptop and WinTools.

8. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Don't you still need to connect to mainboard sata to run the wdidle program?

9. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Yes, if intellipark is enabled on the drive.

According to WD, the following drives have this feature which can be disabled via wdidle3:

WD20EADS, WD20EARS, WD15EADS, WD15EARS, WD10EADS, WD10EARS, WD8000AARS, WD7500AADS, WD7500AARS, WD6400AADS, WD6400AARS, WD5000AADS, WD5000AARS

10. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
  11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Wasn't there a Tivo software update that removed the boot-failure problem caused by Intellipark?

12. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Huh. I hadn't heard that but I googled "TiVo intellipark" and one of the things that came up was this, so supposedly they fixed it more than 2 years ago. Except that the last post in the thread indicated it was broken again. Bottom line: If it is not too much effort, direct connect the drive and run wdidle3. Intellipark is a totally useless feature in a TiVo. If it is difficult, then try it in the TiVo and see if there is a soft boot problem.

The other interesting thing this revealed to me is that this problem existed in some of the HD XLs with the stock drive.

13. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I wouldn't assume that just because Newegg says it has IntelliPark that it actually does. I know it's still possible that it does but it doesn't really make sense for a drive designed for video applications.

14. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    western digital lists this as a feature of their av-gp series

15. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    So they do. That's just dumb.

16. farmermac

farmermac Recorder of shows

Jan 31, 2012
    For the price difference between the larger drives, I'd max out the capacity. The difference between a 640gb, 750gb and. 1tb drive isn't very big. In the future, you will never be upset to have an extra 50 hours of recording but you might miss it. If you intend on selling it, the larger drive is a huge plus since you can only upgrade from the original drive image once.

17. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    That's a good idea but will only work if the recordings are unencrypted. Unfortunately, it seems that most cable operators prevent transferring just about everything but the OTA network channels.

18. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You're evidence in support of that statement? At least here, Comcast only sets the CC1 byte ( this is what prevents copying, not encryption) on premium channels.

19. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm not sure that would be possible, since WD's solution involves screwing around with the firmware of the drive.

Maybe the TiVo could do it on the original drive installed at the factory, but I wouldn't expect it to be automatically able to handle any larger different model number replacement drives.

20. farmermac

farmermac Recorder of shows

Jan 31, 2012
    TiVo supplies the software to do this on their site...