1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WD 1Tg expander

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by SNJpage1, Nov 30, 2012.

1. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I finially decided to get the WD 1 Tg expander. Actually my wife is getting it for my birthday which is in 3 days. She got it on Amazon for $99 with free shipping.

I read thru the FAQ's for them here on the message board. Everything seems easy enough for hooking it up. If any one has any tips on how their install went, I would be greatful.

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    One million gigabytes is a lot of recording space.

3. HeatherA

HeatherA Old AVS Forum Member

Jan 9, 2002
    It's as easy as plugging it in and telling TiVo it's there. We have 2, soon to be 3, running right now. Happy Birthday!

4. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Actually, that would be one trillion gigabytes, or 1000 exabytes - also known as 1 zetabyte, although the G would need to be capitalized. OTOH, I would love to get 1000 exabytes of storage for $99!

5. Dec 1, 2012 #5 of 19
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If he'd decided to replace the internal drive instead, he could have gotten 2TB (WD20EURS) for the same price right now and had the original drive to keep as a safety.

6. Dec 1, 2012 #6 of 19
    lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That would be my recommendation, as well.

7. Dec 5, 2012 #7 of 19
    SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I didnt want to play inside the box. Tivo said that if I had they wouldnt do a $150 exchange since it is out of warrenty.

8. Dec 5, 2012 #8 of 19
    SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    It came yesterday havent had a chance to hook it up. Thats a project for Thursday.

9. Dec 6, 2012 #9 of 19
    andyw715

andyw715 Active Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Just make sure you have a good eSATA cable.

10. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Or an even better one.

11. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Ok hooked up the extender as the directions said. Powered the tivo back on. It went thru the whole reboot asked if I wanted to activate the external device and I said yes. Did a few things and then it rebooted again. Got to a screen that said the external device is now activated and thats where it got stuck. pressing any of the buttons on the Tivo remote did nothing. I waited a few minutes to be sure it wasnt still doing anything in the back ground. Unplugged the Tivo power cord and replugged in. Went thru the reboot with no problems and got to the man screen. Looked in the settings and saw that I had the additional storage space. So I was up and running. Not sure why it froze at the screen that said it was activated.

12. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    That's weird that it froze. But I always heard those things were kind of flakey.

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I've used one for years, never had a problem with it. My wife one has attached to her TiVo too. It did die once, after about 2 years, but we were able to copy most of the shows off to another TiVo before it completely bit it and then replace it with another one whcih has worked fine ever since.

Dan

14. dave13077

dave13077 Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I have that was connected to my Tivo HD and I have since moved it to my Premiere unit. It has been running for 3 years. I am wondering if I should replace it before it goes bad.... What is the expected life span of these units (1TB)??? I know it varies but has anyone have them lase much longer than 3-4 years?

15. HeatherA

HeatherA Old AVS Forum Member

Jan 9, 2002
    I've been using my oldest external drive since Thanksgiving 2009. It's still going strong.

16. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They're like light bulbs. Some last only a short time others go for years and years. If you start seeing any pixelation or freezing on your recordings then that's a good indication one of the drives is dying. Otherwise let it go.

Dan

17. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    Correct me if I am wrong, but it my understanding, that the only WD expander that work with TiVo is one sold by TiVo. I think TiVo software prevents any other expander from working.

18. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That is possibly correct except for the implied assumption that one can only purchase that model from TiVo.

It is, or at least has been, available elsewhere as well.

Since the TiVo checks the model number of the actual hard drive inside the enclosure against its own very short list, if WD puts one of those same models inside a different enclosure (without any TiVo branding), it may work as well, although if you have a problem and call TiVo and they ask for the external's model number (number on the overall package of case and drive), they could probably tell you it's not their problem.

19. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Johncv, the WD expander is the only one that works with the Tivohd but as already posted it is sold by a lot of other stores. I found it on line from a low of $99 with free shipping to a high of $250.