1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Way to empty entire "Recently Deleted" folder?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by johnk, Mar 26, 2006.

1. johnk

johnk Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Hello,

My Tivo was updated with the new "Recently Deleted" (aka recycling bin) feature. Apparently it must hold references to previously deleted shows (before the feature was added), because it already shows 108 items in it!

Does anybody know if there is a way to empty the folder without deleting each item individually? Or does it even matter since stuff in that folder will automatically be deleted first to make room for new shows? I looked around and couldn't find any "empty recycling bin" type of option.

Thanks,
    John

2. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    You can't & why would you want to, unless your watching some sex programs you don't want your kids or wife to know about. TiVo will do it when it needs the space.

3. mumpower

mumpower New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Knoxville
    You would do it in order to clean out the clutter. The instant I got this download on our bedroom TiVo, I saw 68 items in our deleted folder. Even if I wanted to restore something from that grouping, it would be a tremendous aggravation. Some sort of batch delete would certainly be appreciated.

4. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Active Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Deleting them from the RD folder does nothing other than make them disappear from the list.

5. TivoGeezer

TivoGeezer Snow-ina-ear

Dec 3, 2003
    Danbury, CT
    Clutter? Jeez! Do you throw out everything immediately? It is one folder at the bottom of the list. Ignore it. How can this one little folder completely out of the list of normal items be clutter?

6. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    If you don't want it and don't want to have to look at it, it's clutter.
    "TiVo, TV your way." Why are you having such a difficult time with that concept?

7. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

That's the friggin' point. Nobody is saying that they want to eliminate all evidence of the existance of the recordings - atleast not in this thread - yet. They just don't want to have to look at what they've already deleted once.

8. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    I can't imagine that the shows will stay in there that long. Unless you keep your Tivo completely empty. I never have more than a few shows in the RD folder and they usually disappear after a few hours.
    Do you not have much in your now playing list?

9. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Smyrna, GA
    I guess I have to say I would also prefer some kind of empty "deleted folders" option. I just like to keep my Tivo clean. I do not use suggestions either by the way. Half of what it downloads is of no interest to me. I also have over 330 hours of recording time, so as you can see my deleted folder will get really full before it starts deleting. I'd hate to have to scroll through 200 shows in order to find something I might have deleted by accident. If I had a standard 40 hour Tivo, this option would not be such a big deal.

10. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    Wow! I'm exactly the opposite. I never delete anything.

11. dtreese

dtreese New Member

May 6, 2005
    Complaining that this isn't "TV your way" is like complaining because Burger King's idea of "have it your way" doesn't include Catherine Zeta-Jones feeding your Whopper to you. This is added functionality & people are griping. There's no satisfying some folk.

12. ebf

ebf New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Or George Clooney! :D

13. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry 00-16 TiVo Employee

Jul 26, 2005
    Alviso, CA
    You'll find that shows will not stay in that folder for long, particularly if you have numerous recordings scheduled or Suggestions are enabled. Even if it is empty, the folder will still display (quantity listed as "0") in Now Playing.

14. hitbyatrain

hitbyatrain Your Hero

Aug 15, 2004
    Austin
    I would totally sign up for this, if TiVo offered it.

Get on it, TivoJerry.

15. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry 00-16 TiVo Employee

Jul 26, 2005
    Alviso, CA
    Way ahead of you. I've already signed up for the CZ-J alpha testing (not to be confused with PB&J) but it's got a long waitlist.

16. hitbyatrain

hitbyatrain Your Hero

Aug 15, 2004
    Austin
    As long as I get to be on the priority list!

17. murryamorris

murryamorris New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Exactly. I have almost 200 on one Tivo and finding the show I want to restore takes a while. I like the feature but haven't figured out if you can sort the list differently like you can now playing. My recently deleted folders list the oldest dates at the top but usually I want to restore something I've just deleted so have to page down a lot of pages to find the most recently deleted. I've searched but haven't seen anyone discuss if you can re-sort the deleted folder like the now playing. Does anyone know?

18. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    How exactly is not wanting anything listed in the deleted recordings folder which is in fact achievable, comparable to wanting C J-Z to feed you a whopper? provided that she is not your wife or mother of course.

My statement was directed at tivogeezer for telling the OP to ignore the folder (i.e. telling the OP how to use his Tivo).

19. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    what happens if you just hold down the Clear button? Kinda like holding a key on the keyboard repeats that key over and over....???

20. ihatesms

ihatesms New Member

Apr 4, 2006
    i like it. if my dad missed 24 and i deleated it i could recover it for him.