1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

watching recorded programs on either DVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tcbmike, Apr 15, 2017.

1. tcbmike

tcbmike New Member

Apr 15, 2017
    I have 2 series 3 DVR's is there a way to watch programs recorded on #1 DVR on #2 DVR. when viewing #2 DVR #1 is listed but states there are no programs recorded on it. and how can I rename the DVR.
    Thank You

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Login to tivo.com /mma
    Under DVR preferences, make sure all of your Tivos are checked in the boxes for transfers/sharing (Save is at the bottom).

On each of your Tivos, Force tivo connections (Under Settings and Network)... You should have a number when you look in Media Access Key. (note it) It will be like a password for getting to your shows from a PC.
    You might need to reboot the Tivos.
    You should have your other Tivo listed at the bottom of your shows list.
    Shows can then be transferred (copied) to be watched and don't need to finish to play.

Renaming is also on your tivo.com account.

3. lew

lew Active Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Not that simple. I have a Roamio and TivoHD. They can see each other but claim there aren't any recordings. It worked up until a few days ago. Last time I called tivo support claimed the issue must be with a network switch. I forced some connections. I didn't bother rebooting. That's next.

Time will tell if it fixes itself. I doubled checked, video sharing and video download remain checked on my account.

4. lew

lew Active Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Fixed itself.

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Good but strange?

Scott

6. lew

lew Active Member

Mar 12, 2002
    I named my Tivo HD den. It shows as DVR-last 4 characters of my TSN.

It works. Support won't talk to me, Im using a network switch.

Good but strange sums it up.

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    That's a BS excuse. Unless they're connected directly together or both wireless, there's a switch involved.

8. lew

lew Active Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Of course it's a BS excuse. They'll only support home run directly to the router. I have (cat6) running upstairs then a netgear switch running to my computer and to my Roamio. Is that called cascade? KMTTG can always see both No problems until one of the software upgrades wiped out MRV with S3. Problem was fixed but broke twice, and fixed itself twice. I have a mini-which is generally unplugged. Shouldn't be an issue.

9. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    There's no such thing as "directly to the router". The LAN ports "in" the router are actually in a switch that's in the same box and internally connected to the router.

10. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Agree.
    I have a S3 and S5 connected to a 5 port switch that works.

11. lew

lew Active Member

Mar 12, 2002
    I realize I'm not using the technically using the terms correctly. Direct to the router means connecting directly to the LAN port which are equivalent to an internal switch.

Tivo had an issue with my use of an external switch (cascade) so I use one run from the router for both a computer and tivo. Tivo refused to offer any support unless i removed the switch and connected my unit directly to (LAN port) on the router.

12. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Typical Clueless Simian Runaround.