1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching OnDemand while recording two programs...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by hybucket, Feb 20, 2013.

1. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    Maybe a silly question but...I was watching an OnDemand program when I get a message saying it must close the OnDemand screen to record a program (I was already recording one program). I know you can watch a pre-recorded show while recording two, but does this not apply to OnDemand? Is it the same with Netflix?

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    OnDemand uses a tuner. Netflix does not.

3. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    To be more clear, On Demand is LITERALLY the exact same as tuning a channel on live TV. They are simply "making" a channel for you live.

The one thing I have wondered about is that it gives me a VERY strange time to "finish" the watching of On Demand. Like lets say I have enough padding overlaps to use all 4 tuners (NOT uncommon), and if I'm watching On Demand at the same time I get the warning message.. But the conflict will be gone in ~2 minutes usually, but it asks me if I want to finish watching at 1:30AM or something like that.. many hours in the future.

4. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Yup, it's a regular 256QAM. Why can't it be smart enough to just knock the padding off of something and re-schedule some tuners to get you through the crunch?

5. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I personally NEVER want anything to "knock the padding off of something". I want the DVR-ness to be the most important part, and though I appreciate and use On Demand, it is a lesser priority.

6. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    They could at least give you an option, or maybe even a pop-up in real time. Most users would probably kill padding, as it's not that big of a deal.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Then why pad in the first place?

8. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    what if you only have a two tuner model?

9. Digital Man

Digital Man Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Same thing happened to me when I was watching Xfinity On Demand in the evening. I think all 4 tuners filled up probably due to a few minute overlaps. However, it told me the conflict was at 2:30am!

DM

10. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Maybe because the other 99% of the time it would still pad. I've always had at least one series link or Season Pass that wasn't set up to pad, it's not like that detracted from the nicety of having other ones pad.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I don't need to pad most of my shows, so I only have a small percentage of shows with padding. But if I miss a little bit of a show, I will not watch it. I'll get it from Amazon, Vudu or Xbox Live rather than miss part of it.

12. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Well, for the other 99% of the population who isn't going to freak out over not padding something, it would be nice to have that as an option.

13. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.. Do you think the Tivo's software is doing a bad calculation and acting AS IF I only had 2 tuners?

14. Mike-Wolf

Mike-Wolf New Member

Feb 25, 2013
    No.

I think he means what would be the behavor if this issue was occurring on a two tuner model instead of a four tuner model.