1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching mkv files with tvdesktop plu

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by pmalve, Sep 15, 2013.

1. pmalve

pmalve New Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Am a little confused as to how this works. I normally use wdtv for watching my mkv files but as I'm the only one that can figure out how to change inputs on my system i Like that i can watch them from the Tivo central menu. Do I actually have to transfer file from hard drive on my network to the tivo box or can i just stream it from there? I've just started experimenting with this and like the promise of it.

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    If you're using TiVo Desktop (or pyTivo), you have to transfer the file. If you want to stream, check out streambaby.

3. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I use pyTivo with all my Series 3 & Premieres, but I personally have never had any luck getting them to play and/or properly encode .MKV files to my TiVos. I ALWAYS get audio skipping issues when I try to transfer a .MKV file. Only .AVI and .MP4 files will work properly. Any reason why?

4. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I don't think I've ever had issues with .MKV files and pyTivo (I don't use streambaby any longer). It could be due to the version of ffmpeg being used. I'm running pyTivo on Linux and I'm always building a current ffmpeg from source.

5. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    If you use Desktop Plus you will also have to install the Haali splitter yourself. Tivo added it in 2.7 but took it back out 2.8.x.

6. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Which TiVo models can play .MKV files?

(I have a TiVoHD so I use a WD Live to play mine.)

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    None do. You need a program to convert them to a TiVo-compatible format... in which case, all do. :)

8. pmalve

pmalve New Member

Jul 13, 2012
    I was looking for a way to stream my mkv files on tivo instead of using my WDLive media server. After not being able to get stream baby to work I decided to try and transfer to tivo and see how that worked. It works great. I just go to Tivo central, pick a file off my pc and transfer. I can start watching it within 15 seconds of the transfer starting. As good as streaming for me. I just delete it from tivo when im done. File is still on computer in case i wanted to watch it again. Tivo is much better at pausing and ff than the media server is.

9. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Thanks.

(I thought that might have changed with one of the newer models.)