1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watch TiVo without Receiver involved?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by NoVa, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Jul 2, 2013 #1 of 25
    NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    I currently run my TiVo through my AVReceiver via HDMI to my TV.
    Have to activate AVR & use that to watch TiVo & TV.

I want to independently use the TV to watch through the TiVo - without the AVR's involvement.

Which solution is a better solution?

TiVo ===> HDMI powered splitter to:
    1) ===> TV
    2) ===> AVR

vs.

TiVo ===> via:
    HDMI thru AVR & Component to TV.

2. Jul 2, 2013 #2 of 25
    rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    Not sure what you're asking here, since your third sentence is the answer you're looking for.

3. Jul 2, 2013 #3 of 25
    NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    Wasn't good diagramming it so maybe I can write it better:

Wanted to know if I want to watch the TiVo without using my AVR, is it better to connect it to the TV via component cables or add another HDMI cable via a HDMI splitter to the TV?

4. Jul 2, 2013 #4 of 25
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Depends on how you want to wire it and whether or not you care about digital sound through the TV. All outputs on a TiVo are always active, so the simplest solution would be to run HDMI to the AVR and then component + stereo audio to the TV. But if you want digital audio or only want one cable running to the TV then you'll need a splitter. However be careful with HDMI splitters there can be some weird quirks if the TV only support 2ch audio then most splitters will revert to the lowest common denominator and you'll only get 2ch when listening through the AVR too.

5. Jul 2, 2013 #5 of 25
    smithken31100

smithken31100 Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Hockeytown
    The way I have mine set up is HDMI from Tivo to TV and a toslink cable from the Tivo to the AVR. I just mute the TV if I'm using the AVR.

6. Jul 2, 2013 #6 of 25
    NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa

Thanks Dan - audio isn't as important when watch the daily news :)

However, what sort of resolution should I be expecting if using the component cables? 1080i or 1080p?

Also - with regards to the quirk you mention, doesn't that just necessitate me changing my AVR back to where I need it to be - simple button no?

7. Jul 2, 2013 #7 of 25
    NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    Unfortunately, this way would still necessitate turning on the AVR :( Which I want to minimize for daily viewing.

8. Jul 2, 2013 #8 of 25
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Component has a max of 1080i, but that doesn't matter because so does TV. Only BluRay and some online services like Netflix use 1080p.

The splitting thing can actually cause the TiVo itself to only output 2ch audio so it's not as simple as just switching the AVR on. If you're using an actual splitter then it will likely drop to the lowest common denominator. If you're using a switch then you may need to turn the TV off and then back on after the AVR to get it to redo the HDMI handshake and pick up the proper capabilities. Some switch boxes are smarter and will force a new handshake when switching. There are also a few that allow you to spoof the handshake inside the switch so you can force whatever parameters you want. Although those tend to be expensive.

9. Jul 3, 2013 #9 of 25
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    No, it doesn't. Reread what he said again - you run HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver, that's what I do as well. You only turn on the AVR if you want surround sound etc. and most of what I watch is with the TV on only.

10. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Same here except I just turn off the TV's internal speakers or lower the volume to zero to avoid the mute icon showing on tv display when using the AVR.

11. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    You can still use the TV's internal speakers when you want to.

If you run component to the TV you will also need to run a audio feed to the TV.

12. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Just be aware that some TV's only support certain types of audio with this set up. IIRC my Viera GT30 only offers stereo -- no 5.1 or DTS. Check on your specific TV if that concerns you.

13. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa

Yes - I see it now. Thanks for the clarification.

I think in my rush to buy into the HDMI propaganda, I had forgotten the optical out option that would allow me just to turn on the TV without involving the receiver.

So now, if my logic serves me correct,
    Option A- there will be only 2 wire connections:
    1) Watch TV only = TiVo >>>HDMI >>> TV
    2) Watch TV with Stereo = TiVo >>>Optical Out >>> AVReceiver >>> TV

vs.
    Option B- my original strategy of 6 wires:
    1) Watch TV only = TiVo >>> Component Video & audio >>> TV
    2) Watch TV with Stereo = TiVo >>> HDMI >>> AVReceiver >>>TV

Questions:
    1) Will running running Option A2) with the optical audio cable negate Dolby Digital 5.1 programming & only give me DD 2.0 Stereo or is that the function of the AVR which will handle all of that?

2) Will running the Toslink get me back the TiVo Effect sounds on the AVR & via HDMI on the TV?

14. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    Yes - my Panny ST60 only processes 2.1...but that is acceptable for daily TV viewing.
    Hopefully, the Toslink can offer the 5.1 oomph when I need it :)

Now to send back to Amazon all my powered HDMI splitters & Components cables.

Thanks all!!

15. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    I use option A but the AVR drives my surround speakers only, there's no need to run the AVR output to the TV. You just mute the TV when you use the AVR for DD 5.1, and leave the AVR off if all you want is TV stereo sound.

You'll get DD 5.1 on the AVR with optical, as long as you set the Tivo to output Dolby Digital.

With HDMI or component going to the TV you'll have the Tivo sounds, not sure about the AVR. I never use sounds on the Tivo so someone else would have to confirm.

16. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    Oooh, I forgot that part. I'm so use to the HDMI one cable BS & keep thinking it will solve all my needs. Have to remind myself in this new hookup that I need to separate the TV from the AVR.

Thanks again!

17. swerver

swerver Member

May 18, 2012
    Check if your avr does passthrough (meaning it will still pass the signal to the tv when in standby) - if it does, you don't need to rewire at all.

18. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    OOOH BOY - will do...very interesting.

I am looking through my Sony STR-DG810 manual right now.
    UPDATE
    Unfortunately, my AVR doesn't pass through audio when it is in standby. So a Toslink I will go. THanks.

19. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Actually, with optical going to the AVR you will hear the tivo sound effects as long as you have them enabled, however the hdmi to the tv will not have sound effects when you have selected dolby as your audio choice.

20. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Program the TiVo remote to control the AVR and be done with it? It works fine for me, and I always get the better sound quality. Using TV speakers makes NO sense.