1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watch tivo content on a PC

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by calimada, Sep 13, 2006.

1. calimada

calimada New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Is there any solution, hardware or software to watch tivo contect on a PC?

I have an HR10-250 and plan on adding a usb network card... is there a way to view programs on it to watch on a PC in antoher room?

Ideally I'd like to have the content viewable through an application like Windows Medai Center, but any software solution would be great. If not, any recommendations on hardware to stream to my PC (affordable option).

Note: my goal is only to view content not to upload to a PC.

2. Stu_Bee

Stu_Bee New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Silicon...
  3. exbrooklyn

exbrooklyn New Member

Jan 15, 2006
    www.orb.com - there's an add-on called DVR Everywhere. Has worked wonders for me.

4. chewychewytoo

chewychewytoo New Member

Mar 1, 2006
    DVR Everywhere, still copies the content to the PC before streaming it, the only solutions I know of are hardware, slingbox specifically, have not tried it but have heard its the way to go, as it streams anything you can see on the TV via input and output, only limit is it requires a high speed network connection (it only has a 10/100 network connection on the back, but you can use a wireless bridge on that connection if you have an 11g or faster connection.

5. supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    You definitely need to look into a slingbox.

6. alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    here's another vote for the slingbox. while streaming to a pc on your lan it is clear and crisp even when set at full screen. when away from your lan it streams to you over the internet quite nicely although not as crisp. for that i don't run at full screen, but keep it windowed with the remote showing (see below). anyway it's quite watchable.

http://us.slingmedia.com/page/home

[​IMG]
    --
    Alan :D

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Orb only works with TiVoToGo enabled DVRs, which means the HR10-250 won't work with it, the Hr10-250 being a DirecTV DVR.

8. double_d

double_d Serious Geek

Jul 30, 2006
    I owned a sling and to tel you the truth it hardly worked... I even thought it was me so I lent it to a friend and he tried it at his house (totaly differnt set ups.. and providers) he thought it worthless... so off to ebay it went...lol... I digg orb...

read on: Orb in my eyes

DD

9. saramj

saramj New Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have the original slingbox and love it. Can watch TV from anywhere. Had people watching my TiVo in the Starbucks. However just a point of reference (not to hikack this thread) I had the slingbox port on my router forwarded to 443 and everything worked well and I was able to watch my TiVo in my office. Now we upgraded to new servers and I cannot watch anymore. I wonder if they blocked the streaming video part?????

10. alansplace

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    slingbox actually does work, :eek: check this out:

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2006-10/slinging-scoreboard-to-scoreboard/
    --

11. usnret

usnret New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    NW Ohio
    What happens if I'm on the road and want to watch something via SBox and the wife is at home watching something. Would I interfer with her viewing??

12. alansplace

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    yep, just like at home :eek: (or like if she was along on the road with you).
    --

13. ckloiber

ckloiber New Member

Feb 5, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    With my TiVo and Slingbox I have streamed cartoons to my car for my kids to watch on my Droid via their app. No complaints so long as I still have my Unlimited plan at Verizon. You would NOT want to do this with a metered plan unless you are independently wealthy...

--
    Chris

14. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Wow, resurrecting a thread dormant for seven years! Is that a new record? :p

15. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Especially for a first-time poster who joined over 11 years ago!

16. ferrumpneuma

ferrumpneuma fading fast

Jun 1, 2006
    Anhedonia
    That is tremendous. I hope he comes back.

17. ckloiber

ckloiber New Member

Feb 5, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I should have guessed it was an old thread when it told me I lived in Durham, NC. That was ages ago (2000 ish). Surprised my password still worked. Feel free to flame me all you want, I deserved it. :eek:

--
    Chris

18. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Hey, no flame intended. Glad your slingbox method is working well for you. What model TiVo and what version of slingbox?

19. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Well, I'd never heard of Orb before ckloiber's new post brought this thread to my attention, but apparently someone is buying them up, although who, and whether to make them better or to just get them off of the market remains to be seen.

http://www.orb.com/shutdown-notice

And further looking reveals it was Qualcomm.

http://gigaom.com/2013/08/21/qualcomm-buys-orb-networks/

But I haven't found anything that reveals exactly what they're up to.