1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watch shows on my computer

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by scott216, Aug 21, 2013.

1. scott216

scott216 New Member

Oct 2, 2010
    With Roamio can I watch recorded shows on my computer?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You can transfer some unprotected shows via TiVoToGo, but streaming to a PC is not yet possible. As of right now you can only stream to another TiVo, a Mini or an iOS device. Everything else is "coming soon".

3. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You can do that with a S3/TivoHD -- download the shows with either the official supported software or e.g. kmttg.

AFAIK, there is no information yet on a way to *STREAM* shows from your Roamio to a computer (i.e. not download them first).

4. bucm4sko24wle2mi

bucm4sko24wle2mi New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    So, there are more limitations compared to having a Slingbox then. Am I missing something?

5. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Right now yes. The excitement is that TiVo has said that out of the home streaming is coming this Fall. We'll see how it works out, but if it works good then it should be better then a Slingbox because the software will have direct control over the selection and playback of the video rather then having to deal with a laggy buffer with IR blaster.

6. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Hmmm....don't have that problem with my Slingbox Pro....works like a charm.

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Really? So you can FF through the commercials on your TiVo and hit the right spot? With mine there is a good 4 second delay between what I'm seeing on the remote device and what's happening on the TiVo itself. That makes FF/RW nearly impossible. 30 second skip kind of works, but you still end up with a few more button presses then you normally would if you were controlling the TiVo directly. And for instant replay I always had to hit it twice because the delay was almost as much as the IR jumped back so on press was never enough.

With the steam you're controlling everything directly. So when you hit skip/IR it jumps from where you are in the stream at that moment and only takes maybe a second to start playing again. The control experience is way better then a Slingbox. Also you're not using the video output so you can be watching something stored on the TiVo while someone else is actually using it to watch something completely different. Plus there are no extra wires, devices to power, or bricks to plug in.

The only advantage a Slingbox has is the ability to stream outside the home. If TiVo adds that, and does it well, then there will be no reason for a TiVo user to own a Slingbox.

8. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    This sounds so cool... Do you think there will be a way to stream the content from an IOS device to the TV? Or would you need something like an Apple TV and Airplay to accomplish that?

9. Surrealone

Surrealone TiVoOnThEmInD

Dec 8, 2006
    Wait I thought the Roamio has this built in???? just not turned on yet???

10. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Slingbox has the advantage that it works on more than just iOS devices. That's a serious advantage for quite a few people. Not to mention that various reports have the Stream performing horribly at adaptive bitrate video playback, which means it's very likely, considering TiVo's history with software development timelines, going to be a long road before that method is truly "usable" for most. I don't think they've even hinted that there is a chance they'll implement streaming to a PC or via a web browser, or anything other than the bullet point that an Android client will eventually be supported.

I'd say the Stream only has value to those wanting to stream inside the home to iOS devices currently supported, because I wouldn't go making any bets on when or if any other features get enabled or how well they function. In other words, buy it for what it does NOW, not what you think or expect or believe it'll do later.

11. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    The Plus and Pro has all the hardware to do it. And the base does too when you add the free Stream box to it. The limitation is the software, currently. For now it is streaming only to the local network, and ONLY to iOS devices.

And knowing TiVo, when it is finally available for non-local streaming, it will be iOS-only for a stupid long time, then they will come out with a vastly inferior Android version to further piss off the users of the #1 phone and now the #1 tablet ecosystem. Not that it annoys me or anything like that...

12. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    Streaming to a PC as if it was a TiVo Mini would be ideal for me, not even outside of my home network. The TiVo desktop app is just a pain when you play before the download is complete and you need to close and restart the media player. Also there is no way to play live TV. It just seems silly to buy an HD Slingbox at this point with a TiVo named Roamio*.

* = iOS device required for the roam in Roamio. ;)

13. fdisker2000

fdisker2000 New Member

Nov 26, 2006
    JBLM, WA
    Maybe they named them RoamiOs for a reason.

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That's why I said "if they do it well". It didn't get a lot of press because it was designed for some Charter CloudTV service, but at the cable show back in June TiVo showed a complete TiVo UI, including video playback, running inside a browser. If they release that to the public then we could potentially stream to any device with a browser. PC, Mac, Android, whatever. We'll just have to wait and see what they do with this.

15. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Dan, I don't FF; as you mentioned I use 30 sec skip and it works fine. Sure there's a bit of a lag, but certainly not the four seconds you're stating. I'm apparently not having the same problems you are...I love the Slingbox, and I'll be more than happy if TiVo EVENTUALLY has something that approaches the Sling's capabiilties...

16. tbielowicz

tbielowicz New Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Didn't I read somewhere that the outside the home streaming would only work via a wi-fi network. Does that mean it will not work on my phone via my 4g connection?

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think I read that too. I think Apple has a special qualification process they require software to go through to allow streaming over cellular. I think TiVo said they are going to go through that but it wont be available right away.

18. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    Yeah, outside streaming will be limited to WiFi, at least for now. Hot spots should be fine as long as it looks like WiFi to the IOS device in question.

Apple is responsible for this limitation, not TiVo. It applies to iTunes too.

19. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    hmmm....and no dates mentioned. I think I've heard promises before from not only TiVo but other tech firms that either never panned out, or did so MUCH later than anyone anticipated. Seems like TiVo is "promising" a lot of future features with this unit. I would hesitate to buy anything based on promises...

Now, follow through, and I would consider buying one (when the prices come down). I was a first day adopter of the original S3 and paid the premium for it. But TiVo didn't make any promises on future features of the S3 that I recall....

20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm buying my Roamio for what it can do now. Which is basically everything my Premiere and Stream can do, but faster. I'm basically spending several hundred dollars because I'm frustrated at how slow my Elite is. If they happen to add these features down the road, which I'm confident will happen at least to some extent, it's just a bonus.

For me they've done what I wanted already. Put in a faster processor and created usable apps.