1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was the Glo Remote standard with the S3 (OLED) unit?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by buscuitboy, Mar 6, 2014.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    The title pretty much says it all. I may have a chance to get a S3. Was the Glo Remote the standard remote that came with ALL Series 3 (OLED....TCD648250B) TiVos back in the day?

2. supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
  3. blacknoi

blacknoi Member

Jan 23, 2006
    The only down side in my opinion of the glo remote is that it needs 4 AAA instead of 2 AA that the other Tivo peanut remotes take.

Battery life is also a little shorter due to the backlighting (it can be disabled if you want).

4. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    Yea, I actually have another Series 3 (OLED) with a glo remote that i got from someone else. I am well aware of the battery issue. I use 4 AAA rechargeables and this approach works good. I like the backlight feature since its used in a bedroom at night frequently.

5. bru_man

bru_man New Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Sucks when the remote gets suck down the back of the sofa and the back light runs down the batteries. I switched to rechargeables as well. The rubber paint is also coming off commonly used buttons. I still use my series 1 remote which is still my favorite out of the S3, HD, S1, DriectTV HD (most annoying one since the buttons are in a different places)

6. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    The backlit remote is a battery suckhog. I use 750 mAh rechargeables, and it sucks 'em dry once a month. I charge them with a maha-c9000, and I can verify the battery capacity. The remote is actually using that much power. Whereas other standard remotes have had 2000mAh pairs of AA installed in them, and haven't been out for recharge since they were new, 3 or 4 years ago...

7. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I turned off the backlighting since the feel in the Glo is so good I don't need it, and I get over a year for alkalines, there are some uses that rechargables are not the best suited for.

8. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    I use sanyo eneloops for my rechargeables. They will hold a charge for years, don't self-discharge like other rechargeables, and I have yet to find a usage where they don't outlast alkalines. Best of all, they don't leak nastiness when fully discharged.

I may have to look into turning off the glo feature.