1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warranty and Lifetime Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by neo_sapien, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Mar 5, 2013 #1 of 20
    neo_sapien

neo_sapien Member

Dec 14, 2009
    I want to purchase a Premiere 4 with Lifetime in the next day or days or whenever the Mini comes out.

If I purchase a Premiere 4 with Lifetime from a third-party seller, can I still purchase the 3-year extended warranty from tivo.com?

Is buying the unit directly from tivo.com liable to be the best deal I can get, assuming I can use code PLSR? I used PLSR a few years ago on a TiVo HD.

2. Mar 5, 2013 #2 of 20
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I would wait a few days and see if TiVo offers combo deals

Yes you can buy the extended warranties from TiVo for 90 days after activation/purchase.

No idea but you can test the code out before you click the final buy button to find out if it still works

3. Mar 5, 2013 #3 of 20
    Loach

Loach Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    You will not be able to use the PLSR code if you purchase from tivo.com. There is no place to enter the code - probably because tivo.com purchases are "pre-activated". If you purchase from a 3rd party reseller, you'll be able to use the PLSR code when you go to tivo.com to activate service. That's what I did - purchased and activated about 2 months ago.

4. Mar 5, 2013 #4 of 20
    neo_sapien

neo_sapien Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Are there any instances in which you purchase a non-lifetime TiVo from a reseller and are then unable to use the PLSR code? Does the code not work for some people? I've used PLSR once before, on a TiVo HD, I hope it's not a one use only code.

5. Mar 5, 2013 #5 of 20
    Loach

Loach Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Are you talking about buying a used Tivo or new? Not sure about used. I'd suggest reading through the comments about this code at retailmenot.com. Most people report success if purchasing new units from 3rd parties and using this code. Most failures are people who purchased directly from tivo and there was no place to enter the code. Or existing Tivo customers who were hoping to stack this code with the multi-service discount and pay $299 for lifetime instead of $399 (the code won't work for that).

http://www.retailmenot.com/showcoupon/1010214

6. Mar 5, 2013 #6 of 20
    neo_sapien

neo_sapien Member

Dec 14, 2009
    I'm talking about buying a new TiVo Premiere 4. I saw a new Premiere 4 with pre-activated lifetime for sale for about $675, but I think that it would be cheaper to buy the Premiere 4 from a reseller for $250 or less and use the PLSR code to get lifetime for $399.

So long as I can then purchase a 3-year warranty from Tivo.com after I buy it from the reseller.

7. Mar 5, 2013 #7 of 20
    Loach

Loach Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    That's what I did. Bought my P4 from Yogi Computers for like $225 and got $399 lifetime using the PLSR code.

8. Mar 5, 2013 #8 of 20
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Does your TiVo HD not qualify you for the MSD?

9. Mar 5, 2013 #9 of 20
    neo_sapien

neo_sapien Member

Dec 14, 2009
    I'm unsure if the TiVo HD qualifies me for the MSD, or if I sold the old TiVo S2 that qualified me to purchase lifetime for the HD at $300.

Is there some way for me to tell if the HD qualifies me for the MSD?

10. Loach

Loach Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    If you have an active subscription on the HD, you qualify and do not need the PLSR code to get Lifetime for $399.

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You got the HD lifetimed at the MSD rate, but no longer have the unit that created the condition which qualified you for MSD.

So you aren't currently qualified for MSD.

Maybe the PLSR thing will work for you, but I don't have any experience with it.

12. neo_sapien

neo_sapien Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Yep, that's my situation.

13. Loach

Loach Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    No longer having the original unit should not disqualify him from MSD. Any "qualifying subscription" as defined in the MSD agreement will work. From the Tivo MSD agreement:

Multi-Service Discount Qualifications

1. Initial Qualification: You must be the registered account holder of a qualifying Monthly or Product Lifetime Subscription to the TiVo service, as further defined below, to qualify for the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT (a "Qualifying Subscription"):

1. TiVo Service Subscription: A Qualifying Subscription must be a Monthly or Product Lifetime Subscription, as further defined below, to the TiVo service, made directly with TiVo (as opposed to with a third party service provider such as DIRECTV) in order to qualify for the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT. For instance, DIRECTV DVRs with the TiVo service are ineligible to qualify as a Qualifying Subscription or to receive the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT.
    2. Monthly Service Subscription: If you are the registered account holder of a Monthly Service Subscription to the TiVo service, your subscription must be fully paid, active and in good standing, paid on a Monthly basis. Promotional TiVo service subscriptions (e.g. free or discounted TiVo service rates purchased through a limited time offer), unless otherwise designated in the terms and conditions for such promotional subscriptions, are not eligible to be Qualifying Subscriptions.
    3. Product Lifetime Subscription: If you are the registered account holder of a Product Lifetime Subscription to the TiVo service, your Product Lifetime Subscription must be fully paid, active and in good standing. Your TiVo DVR to which the Product Lifetime Subscription is attached must have called into the TiVo service within the last 180 days to remain eligible for the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT.

14. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Keeping the Tivo that qualifies you for the MSD is key. Any Tivo subscription that was purchased at a discount is not eligible to be a "qualifying" sub for MSD. Note what I've highlighted below:

So in order to get the MSD, you have to have at least one Tivo on your account where the subscription was purchased at full price.

15. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Or you have to have one unit on which you are paying the full monthly subscription fee, rather than the MSD monthly fee.

But then if you no longer had whatever qualified you for an MSD monthly fee, that would have gone up to the full monthly price.

16. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    You may be right but fully paid does not mean full price. Reading the description it indicates that it depends on how the discount is offered whether or not it is a qualified subscription for MSD.

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    They always say that but for some reason it's never been applied to me. All my TiVos I've had on my account the last few years have had MSD pricing and I was still able to get MSD pricing on my ELites.

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    They always say that but for some reason it's never been applied to me. All my TiVos I've had on my account the last few years have had MSD pricing and I was still able to get MSD pricing on my Elites. And I've never purchased a lifetime subscription at full price for any of my TiVos in the past.

Unless it's because of the two S3 boxes still on my account. When I first got them in 2006 there was no lifetime option. But then they started offering lifetime again. So when my three year term was up I switched to lifetime in 2009, but I got it at half price(I think that was $200). So that is the only thing I can think of that would be my original qualifying TiVos.

19. Loach

Loach Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Fully paid doesn't mean full price. It just means your account is in good standing (i.e. not behind on any payments, if applicable). Anyway, we are splitting atoms here. The reality is, Tivo is not turning down a $399 lifetime subscription for an existing subscriber to add another box. Even if MSD didn't show up on the activation screens (which I'm betting it does), he could call and they'd give it to him. There are multiple paths to $399 here:

1. MSD
    2. PLSR
    3. Call and beg for it

If you're not getting $399, you're not applying yourself.

20. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    TiVo is not adhering to this, if you have any TiVo in your account with Lifetime, you will get MSD price on any new TiVo you add, it does not matter what price was paid for the Lifetime or who paid that price. I don't have any info on monthly and MSD.