1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted, TiVo with two HD TVs: DirecTV or Comcast?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by KevinKillion, May 7, 2012.

1. KevinKillion

KevinKillion New Member

May 7, 2012
    Now that DirecTV is on friendly terms again with TiVo, that's good news but I'm thoroughly confused.

We are moving to a new home, and I would like to provide TiVo capabilities for both of two HD TVs in two rooms, with HD basic cable channels. But getting a clear answer from either DirecTV or Comcast on just what is needed or how much it costs is worse than pulling teeth.

I think the channel package would be Choice Xtra on DirecTV or "HD Preferred XF" on Comcast. But the sales reps on the phone are terribly confused (and thus confusing) about the specific costs and the features available when using TiVo-brand DVRs instead of their normal DVRs.

Any advice is welcomed ... but in particular:
    - Do I buy a TiVo Premiere, or take whatever HD TiVo DirecTV gives me?
    - Do I need two TiVo boxes to support two TVs?
    - Sharing programs a la "Whole Home" is not supported in either DirecTV or Comcast, right?
    - Does it make any sense (cheaper or better) to talk about one TV with TiVo and the other with the stock DVR?

Help, I'm bewildered!
  2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    If Comcast, yes to Premiere. If DirectTV, THR22 if you want TiVo. Premiere is cable and OTA only (Elite/XL4 is digital cable only). In fact, none of the TiVo 3s or 4s support satellite.

While there are other ways to do that, IMHO two TiVos is currently the best way.

DirecTV, not with TiVo. They do have their own alternative.
    Comcast - yes. You can even share copy protected content via streaming if you have two Premieres

Not if you want to share content.

Hopefully, slightly less so now. If not. I am sure others will be adding to this thread.