1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to add a QAM channel after scan

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Boneless, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Sep 1, 2012 #1 of 39
    Boneless

Boneless New Member

Dec 29, 2001
    When I do a scan, all the channels I want come in except for one local that I can pickup from my built-in QAM tuner on my Samsung tv. When I enter the numbers directly on the tivo, I can see the channel fine and can record live. But I can't setup a future manual recording without it in the channel list. Is there a way to add channels to the list?

2. Sep 2, 2012 #2 of 39
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Not that I know of, so you need to get TiVo to add it.

So contact them.

3. Sep 2, 2012 #3 of 39
    lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Well, hold on. He's talking about a manual recording, so the guide is not involved. It sounds to me like he needs to go to the channel line-up and specify that channel as one he receives.

4. Sep 2, 2012 #4 of 39
    Boneless

Boneless New Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Exactly, only problem is it doesn't show up in the found channel list after a scan. But I can manually enter it from "live tv" and it comes in perfectly.

5. Sep 2, 2012 #5 of 39
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So you need to tell TiVo that this channel needs to be added to the list of channels they provide for your zip code.

6. Sep 2, 2012 #6 of 39
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Assuming he's talking about Cable clear QAM channels, TiVo doesn't provide guide data for those.

7. Sep 2, 2012 #7 of 39
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Well, that bites. What's their excuse for not doing so?

8. Sep 2, 2012 #8 of 39
    cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You could try using your TV to aim antenna so you get the strongest signal possible for that channel then rescan (keeping previously found). If is on cable I had to do two scans to get all of mine.

9. Sep 2, 2012 #9 of 39
    cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    At least they label the channels.

10. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Only with the label that is part of the data sent with the feed.

As to why they don't provide guide data for clear QAM channels, supposedly it has something to do with getting Cable Labs certification.

11. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Do you not have a CableCard? If not, that is the problem.

12. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    No, there is physically no way to do it. It's not a matter of CableCard certification.

BTW, they *DO* provide guide data for clear QAM "channels". There just is no way for the TiVo to know what those "channels" are without the CableCard data to identify them.

13. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    We are talking at cross purposes, here. At first, like you, I thought he was talking about an OTA channel. He seems to be talking about a clear QAM stream timeslot though.

14. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah, that's why I edited to add if he's referring to clear QAM (and looks like he is) I had to scan twice to get some of mine.

15. Boneless

Boneless New Member

Dec 29, 2001
    I scanned multiple times but the tivo just does not want to pickup that particular frequency and its my fox affiliate so it its kinda of a bummer not to have that local station. I don't use a antenna and receive "in the clear" local QAM stations and some SDV otherwise. I don't pay for any cable packages except basic. I just can't get the HD version of fox when scanning for channels, and therefore can't make any manual recordings on that frequency. But it comes in find when I manually press the frequency on the remote. Really bugs me but I guess I have to live with it.

16. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    It is not a frequency. This is no longer the days of analog video. The stream may be found on any QAM carrier anywhere in the spectrum. Someone in a different neighborhood from yours may find it on a different carrier than you do. The assignment may change at a moment's notice. That's why it's not possible for TiVo to provide an ID without a CableCard. Doing so requires a channel map, and the channel map is provided by the CableCard. Some DVRs allow one to manually set a channel assignment, and indeed a modified S3 can do so, but there is absolutely no guarantee the mapping will be the same ten minutes from now.

No, you don't. First of all, essentially all digital video on CATV systems is QAM. Most broadcast local stations in the clear. You do not receive any SDV channels. SDV requires not only a CableCard, but also a Tuning Adapter in order to be received on any UDCP, like the TiVo. Perhaps you mean SD, not SDV?

Again, it is not a frequency. It is a timselot within the bitstream of an arbitrary QAM carrier. The QAM carrier, of course is at some particular frequency determined by the plumbing at the CATV hubsite or headend, but it is not deterministic. Typically anything from 3 to 12 "channels" share that same frequency, and the content assignment is not based upon the frequency of the carrier, but the tag assigned to the timeslot. In order to correlate that with a particular "channel", the channel map is required.

Or you can do what the FCC and everyone else in the industry intended for you to do: get a CableCard from your CATV provider. Of course, depending on how obtuse your CATV provider is, this might require obtaining additional services. That, or as has been implied, if it is locally broadcast you can get an external antenna (possibly a very cheap one will work fine) and receive the signal OTA. In many instances the PQ of OTA broadcasts may be superior to that provided by the CATV company.

17. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Odd it won't get it, maybe if you put that channel on both tuners before starting scan will see it. I was surprised it would not let you add to list manually myself.

18. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Clear QAM channels do not move around that often, particularly on a system that does not employ SDV. I ran my latest Premiere for over a month w/o a CableCARD and never had to rescan.

Guide data is provided for channels and is not directly related to the Channel map. The channel map just tells the TiVo how to tune to that channel.

You can sorta get guide data for the clear QAM channels, assuming they are just the locals. Redo guided setup, telling the TiVo you also have an antenna. You will get guide data for all of your locals, probably including ones you can"t receive even with a decent antenna. After the cable channel scan, you will end up with two entries in the guide for each of the clear QAM channels, one that is actually the OTA channel and which will have guide data. The other will be the clear QAM channel which won't. You will no longer be able to tune directly to the cable channel as the TiVo will tune to the OTA channel instead and you still won't be able to create season passes, but you will be able too determine what is on and you will still be able to create manual recordings. You can also continue to manually tune to the channel by tuning to the OTA channel and doing a channel up. Or select it from the guide.

Of course, this presents a problem for the OP as the cable channel scan isn't finding one of the channels. Are you quite certain that when you manually tune it, it is going to the cable channel and not the OTA channel?

TiVo could in fact provide guide data for the clear QAM channels. The are after all exactly the same as the OTA channels. The fact that the clear QAM channels can theoretically be moved, thus requiring the user to do a rescan is one of their excuses for not doing so.

19. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That depends on the CATV system, and indeed even the neighborhood. It's true many CATV systems don't re-arrange carriers much. Others do.

Correct, and that is the issue.

Or as I pointed out, get (or make) an antenna.

As you yourself point out, they do.

No matter what, they would have to be manually input. A more important reason is the TiVo is by design a highly automated device. The entire design philosophy revolves around the TiVo doing all the work. An even more important reason still is the TiVo is specifically designed to employ a CableCard, an antenna, or both, not some kludge compromise.

20. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I would guess that most don't. The point is that I should have the option.

When I was running w/o a CableCARD, there were quite a few OTA channels that broke up or I couldn't receive at all that came through fine on clear QAM channels.

No, they don't. They are two separate entries in the guide. The OTA channel entry has program information, the clear QAM entry doesn't. This makes the clear QAM channel useless except for live TV and manual recordings.

How exactly do you arrive at that incredible statement?

No, the Tivo is designed to be used in any manner I see fit to use it. If you had your way, there would be mandatory defaults and anyone who didn't like them would be told to see figure one.

The fact that some users wish to avoid the idiotic "additional digital outlet" fees by foregoing a CableCARD should and could be supported by TiVo.