1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walt Mossberg reviews the new Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by apw2607, Aug 30, 2013.

1. apw2607

apw2607 New Member

Nov 16, 2012
  2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    So protected content can't be streamed outside of the home, I take it? This will screw over anyone on TWC, Cox, etc. that wants this feature. But given how crappy it looked in his review, might not be worth it anyway.

3. Bryan Lyle

Bryan Lyle Tivo'n since 1999

Feb 6, 2002
    Middle of...
    Right. The chances of channels like HBO streaming outside your home are almost 0.

4. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    Wouldn't the program be better streaming off of HBOGo anyway?

5. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Exactly why stream out of your home on a slower pipe when you can directly on a faster pipe.

HBO and the rest just needs to start allowing non cable subscriptions.

6. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    What about your protected content recordings? Does this change your mind?

It's not about live TV, or VOD...

7. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    What do you mean protected content recordings? HBOGo pretty much carries everything HBO has to offer.

8. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Yah then we won't have to get a Tivo. ;)

9. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    And once again, the Slingbox looks good....

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That depends on how old it is. They typically have everything currently airing on HBO, but if I recorded a movie 6 months ago it may not be available on HBOGo any more.

Also I noticed that for the few weeks leading up to the new season of Newsroom they removed it from HBOGo. Not sure why. I know it was there a few months earlier because I used it to watch the first season.

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Slingbox is exploiting the analog hole at the moment. But someday all devices will be strictly HDMI, and when that day comes Slingbox is going to be in the same boat because they wont be able to stream anything with HDCP protection.

12. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I am wondering if this protected content is determined by the CCI bit. I suspect it is, but it really isn't the same thing.

The CCI bit 0x02 - is a limiter for copy once, but as far as I know it doesn't specifically exclude streaming outside the home. Is TiVo interpreting the rules to exclude all content with this CCI bit set for external streaming? I can actually see the Premium subscription channels such as HBO, having additional constraints within the rules, but I do not see any limitations to streaming either locally or externally within these specific rules. Anyone?

http://w2.eff.org/IP/pnp/FCC_PnP_Ruling.pdf

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There really aren't any rules or provisions for streaming outside the home in the CableCARD spec. Doesn't the Dish DVR have built in Slingbox functionality? Does it allow all content? Or does it have restrictions on premium channels?

TiVo could be setting a precedent here for cable, so they might be working with their cable partners to see how they want to handle it.

If they are just blindly blocking all copy once content then that seems a bit over protective, since this isn't actually copying anything.

14. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    And we are making some assumptions on what is actually being blocked based on these reviews... Most reviewers are like me (I have FIOS) with only the Premium channels set to copy once. Has any of the reviewers said they couldn't stream at all because of the restrictions?

It is an early version of the software... I suppose we will know when it is released in November, but I really hope TiVo pushes the boundaries on this one a little.

15. apw2607

apw2607 New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    I agree. Don't read too much into this. It was a early release and tivo I'm sure is working out the agreement with the content providers regarding what can be consumed out the house

16. Fofer

Fofer XenForo Rocks! TCF Club

Oct 29, 2000
    Yeah, I thought the big benefit of streaming over downloading was that it would work with content that has the CCI flag set. Nearly all of my recordings these days has that restriction. If the Mini can't stream that stuff out of the home, this new feature is a non-starter for me.

Way to go TiVo, you've disappointed again. Let's hope you figure this out before release.