1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walking Dead 11/17 "Live Bait"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by betts4, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Nov 17, 2013 #1 of 114
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Great episode!

So interesting to see the Governor back and yet not the way he was.

It sort of makes more sense of what we were seeing before - I didn't realize the scene with the fire and the three tents and the walker was from...well...from last season end. Then he is left and just wanders.

The whole new dynamic of him and the three women that need him and especially him and what he is seeing Megan as his new Penny.

A big thumbs up for this one.

2. Nov 17, 2013 #2 of 114
    Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Couldn't figure out for awhile where I have seen the actress who played Melody before. Then it hit me, she was on The Unit.

3. Nov 17, 2013 #3 of 114
    Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Wasn't bad but a couple of things bugged me -

The women survived for a long time but suddenly became helpless when the Governor showed up.
    After all of this time fighting walkers, they didn't figure out that you have to kill walkers with head-shots.

I still don't trust the Govenor. He didn't even give them his real name -- just picked a name he saw on a wall.

4. Nov 17, 2013 #4 of 114
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I didn't see them as helpless, just not real innovative. They just holed up in the apartment and since they have the truck they didn't have to go far for food (but was the water still running?).

5. Nov 17, 2013 #5 of 114
    MLR930

MLR930 Gamer Goddess

Dec 26, 2002
    Cranston, RI
    well one thing we learned about the Governor... he doesn't like Spaghettio's I can almost see him singing the jingle "uh oh Spaghettio's" as he dumped them out the window lol

6. Nov 18, 2013 #6 of 114
    dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Nothing like an entire episode of characters I don't give a single bit of a damn about in the least to let me take care of some emails I needed to send.

7. Nov 18, 2013 #7 of 114
    zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Was I the only one who thought The Governors new squeeze looked like Maggie whom he sexually humiliated!

8. Nov 18, 2013 #8 of 114
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    No, you're not! But his new squeeze is her sister (the older one, the mother). It's the younger one that looks a lot like Maggie (the rookie/trainee cop).

eta: eh, they both look like Maggie.

9. Nov 18, 2013 #9 of 114
    Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    The younger one, Tara, is a character that I think I'll like -- if they let her live.

10. Nov 18, 2013 #10 of 114
    gossamer88

gossamer88 HDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I'm so glad we got away from all that prison drama! Like where this is going. At lest for the next few episodes.

I don't blame the kid for being deathly afraid of him. The way he killed her grandpa was a little over-the-top! Didn't he have a gun? Just put a pillow over his head and shoot!

11. Nov 18, 2013 #11 of 114
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Which raises an interesting question...why does he seem to be alone when he's lurking outside the prison?

A) Something happened, and we won't find out until the next Governor flashback episode

B) Something happened, which we find out next week

C) Nothing happened, and the wimminfolk are lurking in the woods unseen behind the Guv

I found his personal dynamics interesting. It's like he realized that in his desire to build a safe community he went way off the rails in Woodbury (he admitted as much to not-Maggie, albeit in the third person), and was wondering the Earth all Caine-like, trying not to to get involved with anybody. And then he met the wimminfolk, and started to get involved, and now is torn between the good that comes from being involved with other people, and fear of the bad that seems to happen when HE gets involved with other people.

I think there's no way he can come back from what he's done, and thus no way this can end well. But will it end well because he's irredeemably evil and just can't help himself? Or will it end badly because he genuinely wants to be good, but the people who know what he's done won't accept it?
    Yeah, I'm sure the kid would have been cool with THAT. :D

12. Nov 18, 2013 #12 of 114
    Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    I was spoiled to the entire episode and not looking forward to it at all because I am so over 'The Governor.' But he was so not the same character that it was almost interesting :)

13. Nov 18, 2013 #13 of 114
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Hoisted from the other thread:

Bad writing: in what universe does "Brian" not explain everything about the "biters": especially how their father will turn when he dies? At least he should tell the adults. That's too dangerous! But also he should explain how they're attracted to noise and they need to be quiet when they're walking on the road, etc. Those sisters were bickering like they were in the back seat on the way to the beach. And second the way the younger woman just sort of fell over for no reason and twister her ankle. Bogus.

Just a note: I know we don't discuss it here but David Morrissey was on Talking Dead this week and it was really good; he has interesting and insightful things to say about the Governor (as I guess you'd expect). Most weeks I FF through all the conversation and just watch the special behind the scenes stuff on TD but this week I ended up watching it all. If you get a chance you should record it.

Plus at the very end Chris Hardwick has a very nice moment talking about his dad who passed away suddenly a few days ago.

14. Nov 18, 2013 #14 of 114
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    One of my first thoughts as he started to finally interact with them was why doesn't he tell them about the Walkers and what they are doing wrong. I know eventually he tells the Dad about shooting them in the head but not much else.

The girls didn't know what to expect when their dad died so of course they were thrown off guard. I am wondering if he had told them all about it then dad would have said either kill me now or make sure to have a gone there when I die. He wouldn't have wanted to be a walker.

15. Nov 18, 2013 #15 of 114
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think mainly he was just trying not to get involved. And ultimately failing.

16. Nov 18, 2013 #16 of 114
    NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    He may have taken on the name Brian based on what he read on the side of the barn(?), showing us he is no longer The Governor and just some nice guy people care about, he even gave away his gun (Rick has been carrying the same one for some time now.)

17. Nov 18, 2013 #17 of 114
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Rather have a new "bad guy" than the Governor round 2.

18. Nov 18, 2013 #18 of 114
    Barmat

Barmat Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Livermore CA
    Also burning this family photo.

Or maybe going through the same "rebirth" Rick did.

Similarity between the new little girl and the Zombie girl from episode 1(pink robe, stuffed animal).

Carrying a revolver.

Rescue from the trench. Ricks rescue from the Tank.

Not Maggie vs real Maggie.

Tub Zombie vs Bicycle Zombie.

I'm sure there's more. The writers even had that chess scene slapping the audience into picking up symbolism. They even had the little girl draw an eye patch on the king.

19. Nov 18, 2013 #19 of 114
    Test

Test Active Member

Dec 8, 2004
    As they were walking down the street I was thinking about the walker Rick drove by on the side of the road in the last episode. That got me thinking if this was months earlier maybe we've seen the girls already in zombie form.

20. Nov 18, 2013 #20 of 114
    NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    Is it possible that the Gov is outside the prison but trying to get 'in' as opposed to fighting against them. I know its far fetched.