1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wakeup issues with HDMI

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by tivogurl, Aug 30, 2013.

1. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    I've noticed an odd problem with my Basic's HDMI handshaking. If my television is off when I wake the Roamio from standby, when I turn on the television the Roamio will not display video. The television says "no signal". If I turn on the television first video is displayed normally. This problem does not occur with my HD.

2. consumedsoul

consumedsoul Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Is there a reason to ever put the Roamio on standby (or does it automatically until a recording needs to take place etc.?) - I've been just leaving mine powered on.

3. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    A TiVo is always recording - this is how it is able to pause, rewind and replay while in "live TV" mode. All content is played fro
    M the HD.

Michael

4. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Yes. The TiVo doesn't have its recordings interrupted by emergency alerts when on standby.

5. consumedsoul

consumedsoul Member

Jan 13, 2013
    So the TiVo -does- still record while on standby (and is accessible remotely via apps)? Do emergency alerts get broadcasted to OTA signals (as well as cable)?

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That's odd. Sounds like a bug. For now there is an obvious solution... always turn the TV on first. :)

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't know how they work with OTA. With cable they are sent via an OOB signal that TiVo is required to monitor by the CableCARD specification. The spec only requires them to display the alert if the TiVo is actively being used. So if the TiVo is in standby it's allowed to ignore them.

I wonder... with 6 tuners will these ever actually end up in your recordings? Unless you're using all 6 tuners simultaneously (unlikely) then it should have a free tuner to use for the alert leaving your recordings alone. I know coming from an HD with 2 tuners this is common, but maybe it's something you don't need to worry about any more?

8. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Well, yes. That said, it would be nice to know I'm not the only person seeing this.

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    When I get mine on Tuesday I'll test it out and see if I have the same problem.

Although, as I said above, are you sure you need to put it into standby? With 6 tuners I doubt you'll have many, if any, instances where EAS ends up in your recordings. (I think it'll always use a free tuner if available)

10. Bramble

Bramble New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Camas, WA
    I've been putting my Roamio in standby so it won't respond to the remote when I'm watching old shows on my TivoHD (lots of copy protected stuff still to watch, since Frontier copy protects everything.) and I haven't noticed any problems with it waking up. However I do have a soundbar in between it and the TV. Although sometimes with all the switching I've had to power cycle the soundbar and TV to get video working again. I just put it down to having a temporary crazy setup while I toggle back and forth between the two tivos.

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You know you don't need to do that. Try this...

Put the Roamio into standby
    Grab the HD remote and hold TiVo and Pause until the light stays red
    Press 1
    Navigate the HD to the System Information screen and push Channel Down.
    Exit the system information screen

Now repeat the process on the Roamio but press 2 instead of 1.

That will assign each TiVo it's own remote address so that their remotes will no effect one another.

12. consumedsoul

consumedsoul Member

Jan 13, 2013
    On a side note - I'm trying to program my Logitech Harmony One to 'standby' but I can't select a 'power' button at all in the choices - anyone get this to work successfully?

13. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    I have a Basic, so only 4 tuners. Unlikely to be a problem like it was with my HD, but I've made a habit of always putting my TiVo in standby when I'm done watching shows.

14. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Good to know. I noticed that while my Roamio remote has no effect on my HD, my Roamio responds to the HD remote.

15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I've had a 4 tuner Elite for a long time. I rarely ever see all 4 lights on at once, and usually when I do it's because I have something padded and they're only all 4 lit for a couple minutes. So the chance of getting an EAS alert recorded into an actual program are pretty slim. In fact I can't remember ever seeing one since getting the Elite. But your recording habits are probably different then mine, so who knows.

16. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Were you able to see if you have the same problem?

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Had forgot about this. But I just tried it and didn't have any problem. I put the TiVo into Standby and turned my whole system off. I then pushed the TiVo button to wake the TiVo up first, then turned everything back on. As soon as the TV came on I could see the TiVo menu.

18. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Weird. I'd suspect my TV but it works perfectly with my TiVoHD and blu-ray player. It's only my Roamio that has the problem.

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Mine is a Smasung LED Smart TV. But there is also an Onkyo receiver in the middle.

20. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    It sounds like some sort of HDCP issue. I had a similar problem with my Mini. I solved it by installing a powered HDMI switch between the Mini and the TV.