1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vuze officially supports TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by morac, Aug 28, 2009.

1. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Vuze has announced support for TiVo. For those of you not familiar with Vuze, it is a BitTorrent client that includes a Video Store and multimedia device support

Based on their information page it looks like they simply implemented their own comeback server and that transfers must be initiated from the TiVo.

2. Tsiehta

Tsiehta Active Member

Jul 22, 2002
    PA
    I've been using their beta Tivo utility for a while. It's pretty slick.

3. lew

lew Active Member

Mar 12, 2002
    The way I read it you'll drag the video file into your tivo recordings directory. The Vuze program will automatically convert the file to a compatable format as it copies it.

I don't think this is any better then py, but it is fewer steps.

4. Ronio

Ronio OTA HD User

May 12, 2008
    Central...
    Thanks, hadn't heard of vuze before today.

So are we thinking it converts and sends the whole file like PyTivo, or does it stream it like SteamBaby?

5. reneg

reneg Member

Jun 19, 2002
    I'd say like PyTivo. From Vuze info:
    On Tivo, the video will appear under Vuze in "Now Playing." Simply select the video, select "Transfer this recording," and "Start playing."

6. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    Will it work if the torrent is a .rar file?

7. lew

lew Active Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Not the same PyTivo does the conversion while the program is transferring. Vuze will have you drag the file into your tivo recordings folder. The program will be converted as it's being copied into the folder. No further conversion will be necessary when tivo initiates the transfer request.

8. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I just tried it, and I like it! :up:

9. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I never messed with Vuze devices so how do you set it up? It found my Tivos but anytime I try to copy a file so Vuze lists it, it says no profiles for Tivo.

10. reneg

reneg Member

Jun 19, 2002
    The interface from the client to the Tivo is like PyTivo and not Streambaby. The converted file is pulled to the Tivo and not streamed. I tried it out on a movie trailer and Vuze converted it to .vob file. You can still stream Vuze downloaded files by configuring your vuze\transcodes\tivo directory in Streambaby.

11. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    It found my 2 tivos, and I can only send to my Series 3, while my Series 2 says "no profiles". To send to the S3, I right click the file in: My Library > Unwatched, and select: Transcode for Device > Series 3 (renamed from just plain "Tivo") > Tivo HD.

HTH

12. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yeah it does somewhat. I was just trying to drag and drop files into Vuze versus using things from My Library since that is currently empty.

13. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    It looks like you can add your files by creating a "classic-share" from File. I just started poking around with some avi's, and "classic-shared folder contents recursive" the root directory for the TV series I downloaded a few months back. It now seems that I'm now torrenting those files, and transcoding 25 episodes of that series to work with my S3. Obviously I need to RTFM to better understand what I'm doing. :eek:

14. mchief

mchief Morey

Sep 10, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Works pretty good. The major problem, of course, is bit-torrent. I found a Dexter Season 3 at 6.4GB and Vuze told me 300 days for the download. Ouch!

I did download a few parts separately and it took an hour or so for each 500MB piece.

With one download, it came in .rar and had to be run with WinRAR and combined. Worked fine creating a .avi from the .rar.

Does have potential. Have not spent any time yet looking at quality. Will do that this weekend.

15. skydive05

skydive05 New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    VUZE is great I have been using it for awhile now to stream to my XBOX360 .... it works AWESOME.
    I just found out yesterday that they have added support for TIVO and I am thrilled. My problem is that VUZE sees my TIVOs and allows me to convert the files and it looks like they are vob files, but the VUZE does not show up in either of the TIVOs.
    They are both TIVO HDs. Then I stumbled onto this POST and thought I would try getting Streambaby working. Which I did after playing around with PATH statements until I got it to use Java 1.6 instead of 1.5 as it was erroring out.

So now Streambaby is running, but was not sure if I needed anything else with that running, or if the IP to configure was the IP of my PC?

Anyways Streambaby is not showing up in the TIVO either. I would love to be able to stream through the TIVO just like my XBOX or atleast download through VUZE. I tried restarting the TIVOs to see if they needed a reboot, but NO GO.

Does Streambaby or VUZE need Tivotogo installed on the same PC or any other requirement in order to show up on the TIVO?

16. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Streambaby and VUZE use different protocols. Streambaby is a HME application and shows up in the Music, Photos, etc menu. VUZE is a ToGo application and shows up in the Now Playing List (at the bottom).

Neither application needs TiVo Desktop or anything else installed. If you are having problems seeing VUZE and Streambaby, you might want to make sure your TiVo boxes are on the same local network as your PC.

17. mchief

mchief Morey

Sep 10, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I'm seeing Vuze in the NPL and the programs are there. However, transfers quit after about 15 minutes. With DT Plus no problem. Still working on that problem.

18. ryanperry

ryanperry Whimpy

Jun 21, 2005
    Silicon Valley
    I have a Series3 that isn't automatically showing up under vuze devices on my Mac OSX 10.5 (Intel). TiVo desktop and PyTiVo work just fine. There is no info or support on this error case. Anyone else run into this and have a workaround?

Thanks,

19. BungeeCork

BungeeCork New Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Sorry, can't help re the Mac, but just wanted to add that Vuze/Tivo works fine for me on Windows 7 RTM 32bit.

20. Hcour

Hcour Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Very cool. I just got my Tivo a couple of days ago. I was going to buy Desktop Plus or configure pyTivo for getting files from my computer to my Tivo but this seems about as simple as it gets. I already use uTorrent so I don't need the torrent app, but it works great for transcoding and transferring files. Thanks for the heads-up.