1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VPN & Streaming

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Surrealone, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Surrealone

Surrealone TiVoOnThEmInD

Dec 8, 2006
    If I VPN my ipad to my home network would streaming work?

2. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    Since the tivo box would see a local network IP, it might work. Try it out.

3. Surrealone

Surrealone TiVoOnThEmInD

Dec 8, 2006
    yes that's what I was thinking too. I will have to spend some time this weekend and play around with that.

4. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    It's unlikely. There was a long discussion of getting the original stand-alone stream to stream video to an iPad outside the home. There were some half-baked workarounds developed, but nothing was reliable. The current method Tivo uses to allow various components to talk to each other on your home network is typically lost over a VPN connection, so the iPad can't see the Tivo devices in your home, even though it's VPN'ed "into" your network.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=492571

5. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    You can use VPN. What you need to do is allow the WINS packets and all other 'discovery-type' packets through the VPN. If you can setup both ends, it works. Bonjour is a must. And I used Win Server 2003 VPN server. This was quite a while ago, in Series 3 days when program sharing between Tivos just started being used

I don't think it is possible anymore. They've added way too many layers or security

6. Surrealone

Surrealone TiVoOnThEmInD

Dec 8, 2006
    I have a feeling it might be a port block if anything. I'm going to try shooting a few arrows at this and see what sticks :cool: