1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voice activated Tivo, via Xbox One... whataya guys think?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by riz, May 21, 2013.

1. riz

riz New Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Voice activated Tivo Premiere, via Xbox One... whataya guys think?

I have used voice commands on Netflix/HboGo via Kinect for some time. It is convenient. This may take your average home hum cable box (not Tivo Premiere XL4, love it!) into the next gen of features. Looks interesting to say the least.

I just don't get how it can work with all the different boxes out there but voice activation is convenient and does work on my 360 right now so next gen it should be even better.

XboxOne is using some sort of hdmi passthrough/overlay system. So it is NOT controlling out Tivo but somehow accessing all the content within it (kinda like Google TV, I think). This is a good article that came out a couple weeks ago "Microsoft's next Xbox will take over your TV, interact with your cable box" http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/10/42...tainment-plans

Your thoughts?

2. DrunkOnWine

DrunkOnWine New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    One question that springs to mind is HOW it controls the Tivo -- will it have an IR blaster like Slingbox?

The delay of an IR relay might give me pause about using it as a primary device.

3. riz

riz New Member

Dec 30, 2000
    ^^ XboxOne is using some sort of hdmi passthrough/overlay system. So it is NOT controlling out Tivo but somehow accessing all the content within it (kinda like Google TV, I think)

This is a good article that came out a couple weeks ago "Microsoft's next Xbox will take over your TV, interact with your cable box" http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/10/4208970/next-xbox-tv-entertainment-plans

4. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Since you are asking opinions...

Unless I'm driving, voice activation annoys the living crap out of me. Things are loud enough already without me having a conversation with my tivo.

5. DrunkOnWine

DrunkOnWine New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    If its network-level, that's disturbing .. Tivo can't even transfer shows from one Tivo to another in true real-time.

I don't see how the Tivo could be controlled over HDMI.

That all being said, I want to see this work.. Thanks for the article link.

[Edit: The Tivo iPad app controls the Tivo as a network remote -- so perhaps a combination of HDMI pass-through and the Xbox as a network remote]

6. riz

riz New Member

Dec 30, 2000
    I hear ya. I am NOT a Siri supporter... Talk.. then talk back.. then talk again is simply slow and annoying IMO BUT...

Google voice and Xbox voice implementations are simply command it and it shall do it. It's actually really convenient saying "xbox pause" and getting up and upon returning "xbox play" to continue...

To each his own but simple voice commands work flawlessly on Google platforms as well as Xbox, I have high hopes for the new Xbox One and their approach you already own it, control it though us (smartglass and kinect)

7. DrunkOnWine

DrunkOnWine New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Agreed. Sorry to go off-topic .. I do find the voice activation and motion activation in the Xbox 360 to be pretty buggy. Often we'll be watching a movie and it'll somehow flip into command mode (likely because it thinks we're "waving", which is how you invoke it without speaking) and it'll start to fast forward unexpectedly.

It's going to need to be pretty smart tech to figure to filter out the "noise", both visual and auditive.

8. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Meh. Still requires Xbox Live. No backwards compatibility on digital content. I don't use voice navigation even on my phone. I stopped using IR blasters with the Series 2.

Skipping the Xbox One.

9. riz

riz New Member

Dec 30, 2000
    ^^^ Well its much more than voice controls. It would seem to be a GoogleTv esque overlay system allow you to use the xbox interface with your existing boxes. Though, they certainly didn't show that much today, which was disappointing to say the least... yet i am still hopeful they've got something special on their hands

The new way to watch TV.

Connect your cable or satellite box to Xbox One and watch all your favorite television
    shows right through the console.1 All your favorite channels. All your favorite shows.
    All with the sound of your voice. You can even create your own personal channel
    by pinning the shows and apps you watch most. Gone are the days of switching
    inputs to watch TV or play a movie. Xbox One can do it all.
    ... http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xboxone/what-it-does[​IMG]

10. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    If I didn't like the UI of TiVo, I would use Media Center. The overlay is designed around having a crappy UI like most of the cable STBs.

11. jim2011

jim2011 New Member

Apr 19, 2009
    As someone who currently owns Google TV, I am definitely selling it on ebay ASAP.

I am hoping that Microsoft partners with Tivo to allow control via the network. It would be great if the Xbox is able to determine what you have recorded and start the programs through its own interface. Tivo's interface is so slow.

I really don't think any of this would be that difficult. All of this is already implemented in the iPhone and iPad app. It's just a matter of Tivo and Microsoft working it out. I doubt Tivo would like you being able to bypass all of its ads however that it has in its slow laggy menu.

12. riz

riz New Member

Dec 30, 2000
    You selling it because you want the Xbox version or because GoogleTV sucks?

A pic revealed on the back of the Xbox One, damn, I think thy should of called it the Xbox Entertainment System or Xbox ES, XES for short (like Nintendo did in the 80/90s) Anyways, pic revealed a IR output

13. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    it CAN control if the device has HDMI CEC controls. However the Tivo Premiere is poverty and does not. So, IR blaster it is.

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    TiVo has a well documented network control protocol so if MS wanted to use that, instead of IR blasters, they could.

15. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    On account of all of those other devices out there that reliably implemented CEC.

Wait, there are none? Weird. It seemed like you were suggesting cable boxes routinely supported full control over CEC.

16. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    More likely, Tivo would have to implement a Windows8/Xbox app that could control the Tivo and display live TV.

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    TiVo is sort of competing with MS to be the "one device" so I doubt either company will go out of their way to support the other.

It's possible the next gen TiVo will support CEC, although even if it does I'm not sure how useful it will be. CEC does not provide enough commands to use the full functionality of a TiVo so there is no way it could be used as a full UI replacement for the TiVo.

18. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Being able to control the TV/receiver volume, mute and power directly would be reason enough to use CEC in my opinion.

19. muzzymate

muzzymate Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Cleveland
    I hope Microsoft "partners" with Tivo to do this.

20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    How is CEC any better for those things then the current remote that uses universal IR instead?

I was playing with CEC on my receiver and TV last night and the volume was annoying because it would get out of sync and the number value on the TV did not always match what was on the receiver. Plus it had two OSDs one from the receiver and one from the TV and there was a slight delay between them. Seems like a silly way to do things when IR works better. I guess if you had everything hidden away in a cabinet it would be better then an IR repeater, but other then that....