1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vikings S1E2 OAD 3/10/13 Wrath of the Northmen

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tiams, Mar 11, 2013.

1. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    What a miserable voyage.
    I saw an article recently saying someone discovered a real Viking Sunstone.
    Where would the Monk who spoke Norse have traveled to to learn it?

2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Who was the guy who raped the anchor maker's daughter, Rollo or the missing doubting Viking dude?

Never, ever try to sleep with your local gangster boss' wife no matter how many times he tells you he's ok with it.

3. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Are you talking about the shipmaker Floki's slave? That was Rollo. He's going to bring the trouble to Ragnar for sure.

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Wow, that was...strange.

Last week, I was impressed with how much the show seems to know about medieval history. But last week, I assumed that "The West" was Iceland/Greenland/Newfoundland (and wondered why nobody was talking about England or Western Europe as an alternative to Russia and the Baltic for raids). Now, they "discover" England...which everybody in Europe had known about since the Bronze Age! The only thing the Vikings "discovered" about England was how to get there directly across the North Sea without their ships sinking.

Weird, weird lapse for a show that has clearly done their homework...
    Heh. Flunky was too stupid to figure it out, but he was doomed no matter what he did...clearly the Godfather was looking for an excuse to kill him. If he'd said "no," he would have been killed for disobeying him.

I guess he was useless enough to be spared for surveillance duty, but too useless to be allowed to live with what he discovered. :D

5. caslu

caslu Member

Jun 24, 2003

England? Then why didn't the monks speak English?

6. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    To distinguish them from the Vikings (who, of course, don't really speak modern English!).

In reality, they would have spoken Latin or Old English (which is distinct enough from modern English to be unintelligible to us). I can't remember what they were speaking on the show.

7. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Right. The woman who was raped was a slave. Different woman than the daughter.
    The monks spoke ancient Anglo-Saxon.

Anyone know how long that boat trip would have taken?

8. MonsterJoe

MonsterJoe ♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪

Feb 19, 2003
    Central MA
    I'll take your word for all this because, well, you're you. :)

I am pleasantly surprised by the show so far. Pretty good production for the History Channel.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    2-3 days. The only challenge was the very rough water in the North Sea, which earlier Viking boats couldn't handle. Navigation wasn't much of an issue. England is pretty hard to miss from Norway (go southwest), and even harder from Denmark (go west along the coast; I assume these guys are in Norway).

Which is another reason I was so surprised that their endless journey ended at England.

[​IMG]

10. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I also was surprised that England was the unknown western frontier. You'd think they'd be aware of England because of trade and commerce. Maybe the Vikings killed everybody they encountered before asking them what was over yonder.

It goes against the grain of the show but if I were that Harald guy, I'd have sanctioned Ragnar and some guys go on a scouting trip and claimed my usual percentage of anything they found. If they disappeared, then that would confirm that I was right about sailing west. I don't understand what the big deal was other than he can't stand Ragnar.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The Jarl had a monopoly on the ships, so he controlled where they raided. As far as he was concerned, Ragnar was asking him to send his ships off into the open ocean instead of where they knew there was booty (which, as I said earlier, is nuts, but that's the way they're treating it). Ragnar built his ship in secret on the side. I doubt in reality that he ever could have afforded such a thing, but given what a capricious control freak the Jarl is, I doubt he would have been too happy at losing his monopoly.

A ruler's power in this era consisted of what he could get away with. Ragnar poses a pretty major threat to the Jarl's power. I suspect his survival will depend on how he manages the Jarl on his return...making him look good, and making him richer.

12. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    As someone who has travelled through Europe I find modern British (never mind Scottish) English sometimes incomprehensible. I'm so bad I use clothes (sic) captions when watching BBC dramas.