1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"VigLink" is molesting our posts

Discussion in 'Forum Operations Center' started by Fofer, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Fofer

Fofer XenForo Rocks! TCF Club

Oct 29, 2000
    See here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8741787

Our posts are being modified with crappy, spammy links. This is gross. Very, very bad form. I'm sure the site owners would never authorize something as scummy/scammy as this?

Please fix this.

2. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    I was shocked to see one of my posts had been altered to make it appear that I was spamming the forum with an eBay link. I'd typed the word Netflix and this VigLink thing changed it to a link without my approval or consent.

3. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    We're using VigLink at AVS too (as are many other forums these days). The Netflix link error was submitted to them. It's not always perfect.

4. Fofer

Oct 29, 2000
    What do you mean by error? The link it inserted should be different? Or that it inserted a link into our posts at all? It goes without saying we don't want our posts edited with spammy links we didn't insert ourselves. You can put ads on the site wherever you deem appropriate, but please don't have spam robots edit our posts. That's just sleazy.

5. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Ha! It VigLink'd my post (above). :mad:

Really, is this the future of this forum? Spambots molesting our posts?

6. steve_a

steve_a New Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Fofer,

We are very sorry that we made a mistake with the link that you referenced in your post. We strive for perfection in creating links that are useful to forum readers and to ensure that the links are accurate, but we do make mistakes occasionally. If you would like to opt-out of VigLink's links, you can Google Viglink optout, and the first result will contain an optout link.

Steve

7. Fofer

Oct 29, 2000
    It's not that I don't want to see VigiLink links; I can easily block the scripts in my browser.

It's that I don't want the posts that I make, to be edited to include links that I didn't put there myself. That's poor form. It's misleading and scummy.

I put links in my posts myself when they are helpful to the reader, links to referenced software, how-to's, etc. I don't need (nor want) any automatic software editing the content I create, by adding in spammy links for others to see, thinking I put them there myself.

Will "opting out" mean my posts will never be molested by VigLink? Or does it just prevent me from seeing these unwanted links in posts from other people?

8. Peter Redmer

Peter Redmer New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    Hi everybody.

VigLink was recently implemented at TCF, but it should only be "active" for visitors ("guests"). I verified this setting in the forums is correct, but for some reason it's still showing for me, and obviously for all of you, regardless of whether one is logged in, TC Club member, and so on.

So, I'm going to investigate this and work with our ad team to see what's up. I'm not sure at this point if this is a forum issue, or something specific to how VigLink works. I'm on it though, and will update when I know more.

Pete

9. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I forget who it was, but some site used a similar service but that service double-underlined everything. At least it made it obvious what was going on compared to other possible links, but it was also horrendous in that every one of them created a hover pop-up, too.

10. Fofer

Oct 29, 2000
    Thanks, Peter. If the posts that we write will be edited by ad software so they look different to other forum visitors (club members or guests, doesn't matter) please let us know. The way it is implemented right now means it can change the tone and context of our communication and that's a creepy precedent. If you absolutely, positively need to implement this to make money, then please do the classy thing and make the fake links look different or something...

11. Wilhite

Wilhite ...no stinkin' title

Oct 26, 2003
    ...and if you can't change the Viglink links to be something different than a "normal" link, can you at least give us an idea of what words will be Viglinked so that we can think twice before including them in our posts? There might be some things that I would rather not refer to if I know that it will appear to anyone (guests, members, etc.) that read my posts.

12. Peter Redmer

Peter Redmer New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    We've resolved the issue of VigLink links showing up for logged in members, at least as far as I can tell in my tests.

We're looking into whether the appearance of the links can be changed to make them stand out more/look different.

Pete

13. Fofer

Oct 29, 2000
    That was either intelliTXT.com or kontera.com. Both gross, and widely reviled on the web. I thought these sorts of strategies went away with X10.com and pop-unders? I'm reminded of tynt.com, which messes with your clipboard when you copy-paste text from certain websites. It's the worst.

I'm using this javascript blocker (mentioned here) to block all three.

<sigh>

14. Fofer

Oct 29, 2000
    We appreciate your continued attention and work on this, Peter. It's appreciated. Thanks for keeping us updated.

I'll reiterate, ideally our posts wouldn't be molested on anyone's display, but you do what you gotta do. And distinguishing these "fake" ad links from the real links we've put in our posts ourselves would be a classier approach.

Thanks again.

15. Fofer

Oct 29, 2000
    Can you explain more specifically what "opting out" does?

Does it simply prevent me from seeing VigLink's fake ad links, in content I read on the web?

Or does it protect my posts (that others will read) from being molested, with fake ad links inserted that I, myself, won't see?

16. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Think about what would be required of an opt-out system that could track whether your posts should be modified or not. It would require support everywhere you might make a post.

I'm certain the opt-out simply changes how links look to you, "you" being from the browser and machine from which you opted out... when you visit a viglink-enabled site, you won't see links created by viglink because there'll be a cookie in your browser telling viglink not to do it.

17. Fofer

Oct 29, 2000
    Okay, yeah, I was pretty sure of that, but wanted the distinction to be clear for anyone following along here.

FWIW, I think VigLink's methods are sleazy. Editing the content of someone's posts (yes, inserted links count as content) as a way to generate revenue is poor form.

18. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    I hate it when I'm right. :(

19. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    Sorry for bumping an old thread...

But I've noticed that when I click on a link on Forum Runner it goes through Viglink. Is TCF doing this, or Forum Runner? And how do I make it stop?