1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viewing your Free Disk Space

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by SirDucky, Nov 25, 2007.

1. SirDucky

SirDucky New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    In the settings section, it would be nice to show the amount of free space left on TIVO. The reason is this would show you if you need to purchase your external hard drive option.

2. chip_r

chip_r Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Southeast PA
    Very frequently requested item here but never implemented.

Just turn on Tivo Suggestions and you'll roughly get the number of free hours on your Tivo. Anyway, I've found Tivo Suggestions does an excellent job of finding shows you may want to watch.

3. curlyroller

curlyroller New Member

May 24, 2007
    it is just absurd that tivo lacks this feature. my old time warner dvr did it just fine. i know tivo CAN do it. so it irritates me that they wont.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I read a post around here somewhere that someone made that kinda made sense.

Paraphrasing: It would be hard for the Tivo to calculate free disk space because it doesn't know when your going to delete shows AND it has to reserve space for future recordings.

5. ontheway

ontheway New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    That only makes sense if you want to know how much free space you will have after you record all your future shows, I think what most people want to know is how much free space is there on the tivo at a given moment.

The hard part it seems would be the need to calculate how much space is in the deleted items folder since they aren't really deleted and then adding that to the unused space on the drive.

6. WayneCarter

WayneCarter New Member

Mar 16, 2003
    What do you consider "free space"?
    - the total space not actually occupied by recordings that are within their "Keep Until" date,
    - the total space not commited by recordings within the "Keep Until" date and scheduled recordings (if so, for which date do you calculate the "Free Space"?),
    - the space not currently occupied by items on the "Now Playing List",
    - the space not currently occupied by items on the "Now Playing List", not including "Recently Deleted",
    - the space not currently occupied by items on the "Now Playing List", not including "Recently Deleted" and "Suggestions",
    - or something else.
    Personally, I'm not sure why people want to check their "Free Space" - I wonder if it's because they think they have to manage the free space as on a PC. If it's because they want to check if they have room for upcoming shows while on a trip, that gets into a calculation of scheduled recordings vs items timing off the NPL as described above. If something like this is what is behind the request, I'd say a more effective "desire" would be more choices for "Keep Until" (2 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, n days, ... ) and/or a "Vacation mode" (eg check that all recordings for the next n-days will fit, and ensure they will be kept at least 2 days after the return date), a set of "watched" flags that could be used by family members to indicate they have (or want to) watch this show.

7. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That's easy. The answer is, "Zero". The other DVRs can handle this easily and without much fuss becasue they lack one of the greatest features of the TiVo: Suggestions. With suggestions on and unless your TiVo is rather new or you have just permanently deleted a bunch of scheduled recordings, the TiVo will essentially always be brimming full with stuff you like, whether you specifically asked for all of it or not. Since there is no real reason to turn off suggestions, the TiVo is always full.

8. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    Yes, my SA8300HD has that feature too - a simple bar graph showing percentage used. Only reason to look at though is to make sure there is room - otherwise when the SA8300HD approaches 100% it STOPS RECORDING!!!! (Yes, the option to delete when needed is turned on - it just doesn't work).

On the TiVo it's not necessary to ever know - it can always be full and still recording more, just automatically deleting the oldest recording.

9. bcwaller

bcwaller New Member

Nov 5, 2007
    I'd say the definition is very easy. Free space is the amount available for actual user selected recordings. It might be equal to the amount of space taken by the suggestions, assuming they are on. In fact, that is how I check to see how close I am to losing a show that I myself recorded.

I will agree that the real solution could be a way to look ahead and guess how many days until full or something like that. I used to do this before I left on vacations with my other DVRs. If I knew I'd need 13 hours of space, I could easily check and see. The big complication compared to the old DVRs is that the TiVo really does not know how much space each recording will take without a database of channels and such. All my recordings are digital, but one 60 minute show will be gigabytes different than another, which really makes the guessing hard.

On average, it could take some guesses, but I could see people being more upset when it is wrong than they are at not knowing and having to take their own manual guess.

10. WayneCarter

WayneCarter New Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Then "free space" is the total space not actually occupied by recordings that are within their "Keep Until" date. It seems TiVo checks its "free space" (by the above definition) each time a new recording or season pass is set-up - at least, I have occasionally been notified that "to record 'X', TiVo will have to delete 'Y' on '[date]' to make room" (inexact quote).

11. bcwaller

bcwaller New Member

Nov 5, 2007
    That makes sense. I've never seen this message, but then I've only had a TiVo for two months or so. The ReplayTV greys out shows at risk of deletion when "free space" gets low so you can see at a glance what will be deleted (or what you should watch) if you don't free up some space.

12. WayneCarter

WayneCarter New Member

Mar 16, 2003
    The only times I have seen is when I've had or have scheduled a bunch of shows flagged as "Keep Until I Delete".

Our default recording "quality" is "Medium", we use our PC disk farm (over 1TB) for storage of anything TiVo'd that we want to keep for a while or DVD-ize it for "permanent" storage, and delete things as watch them - so the system never gets close to having recording conflicts unless we will be away for a few weeks and have setup a lot of shows as KUID so they'll be there when we return. The TiVo actually has warned me when scheduling show 'X' that it won't be able to fit when it gets recorded even if it isn't scheduled to be recorded until a week of two later.

13. dtpetty

dtpetty New Member

Feb 17, 2006
    I agree with all of the comments above. HOWEVER, many TiVo couch potatoes are also techies, and this box is basically a computer with a harddrive and we would like to know the free HDD space in some form or other.
    I will swear that when I first got one my TiVos (I have 2), that in System Information there was a ~% disk space used (or free). It is not there now.
    BTW - the stupidest thing TiVo does not do, that I understand most all other DVRs do, is to cache the entire current program, instead of just the last 30 min. DUMB & occasionly very irrating when you miss the first 18 min of a 1 hr show.

14. mrkrandall

mrkrandall Meat

Feb 4, 2008
    New Jersey
    I may be new to the forum, but I have had TIVO for a while now. Loved the 1st one so much I bought another (both Lifetime subscriptions of course). I Networked them, tell them what to record from over the internet, tell them what to download for me to watch latter (love that CNET download). Could even, if time wasn't so precious, have TIVO to go!! So why can't I know how much space I have left? or don't have left? whichever is more correct I don't care. Will my TIVO loose money I have the this knowledge? I think not.

I love TIVO too !!!! I just get annoyed when they don't listen. They provide all this wonderful content. Even if I had picture in picture in picture and four brains with seven sets of eyes, there isn't enough time in the day to view it all. So, like everyone else, I TIVO IT!!!! Some things I season pass and want to keep to watch all at once (throw back to watching the STAR WARS Trilogy.. oops dated myself).

I mark things "DO NOT DELETE" and TIVO is kind enough not too, thanks lil' buddy. Problem is it doesn't warn me that stuff won't get recorded because I'm behind on sitting on my behind. wait for it.... ok

Even if the gauge / meter / indicator lied to me I think I would feel better than having no clue at all as to the remaining space. I know SP mode uses more disk space than EP (I've had a few VCR's... I get it!). BUT if TIVO is a little computer recording stuff, it must know where EOT (End Of Tape) is. For as dumb as a VCR was/is it knew how much tape was left on the spool.

I'll stop for now... Next time maybe we can talk about this lack of warning that something won't be recorded unless you micro manage the lil guy. Or maybe that when they system does a update, that it doesn't reboot itself and you miss a show because ... Sorry, those are for latter.

Thanks for listening, forgive the spelling

15. jbcooley

jbcooley New Member

May 13, 2007
    I've written a very simple application that can display estimated free space through the "Music, Photos, and more" menu. The application requires bonjour to be installed before it will work. You can find the installer for TivoDiskUsage as well as the source at my google code project.

This application is built on the hme for .net sdk announced here

16. WayneCarter

WayneCarter New Member

Mar 16, 2003
    What does your app consider "free space"? See post 6 in this thread.

The benefit of your app for a given potential user depends on how the TiVo is used and how it create "free space".

17. jbcooley

jbcooley New Member

May 13, 2007
    My app groups space into one of seven categories.
    In Progress
    Save until I delete
    Current
    Expires Soon
    Expired
    Suggestion
    Estimated Free (based on maximum space ever consumed for this tivo)

This is displayed in a pie chart in that order. While Estimated Free is not going to display much with suggestions turned on, you can easily see what you consider free space due to the grouping of the pie slices.

This application is just something I wrote to demo my library. If someone prefers a different display, I'd be open to suggestions.

18. WayneCarter

WayneCarter New Member

Mar 16, 2003
    The only way I know of in which a healthy TiVo will not record something scheduled is if there is too much content flagged KUID. On the few instances where I have been in this situation, TiVo warned me that "[X] wouldn't be recorded". I can't say that the warning shows up in ALL cases but it does in SOME cases.

Obviously, the "solution" is to reduce use of KUID. If the TiVo(s) are on a home network, you can use the computer's harddrive for long-term storage and free up some of TiVo's storage. Why are you using KUID so much? Maybe you need to give your TiVo a harddrive upgrade.

19. WayneCarter

WayneCarter New Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Would "Recently Deleted" help any? (Assuming RD is even accessible)

20. jbcooley

jbcooley New Member

May 13, 2007
    Recently Deleted programs don't appear to be available for transfer. I use the hmo protocol to get recording information, and didn't see a way to get that information.