1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VideoReDo Error Msg .Tivo Files

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Hcour, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Hcour

Hcour Member

Dec 24, 2007
    When I try to open .tivo files transferred from my Tivo to my computer via ktmmg I get an error msg that VRD can't open the file and "please check your media key".

What up?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    VideoReDo requires that TiVo Desktop be installed to decrypt .tivo files. Do you have TiVo Desktop installed? Can you play .tivo files in Windows Media Player?

Dan

3. Hcour

Hcour Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Ah, ok, no I don't, that's the problem. Thanks much.

4. jbernardis

jbernardis New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    You can still convert .tivo files to .mpg using tivodecode. Perhaps the easiest way top do that is to download kmttg and let it happen under the covers. All you need to do is choose the decode option.

I wouldn't install tivo desktop just for this. Tivo desktop, IMHO, is useless and all it does is hog system resources.

5. Hcour

Hcour Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Ok thanks, I'll check that out.

Actually, I may be making an unnecessary step for myself. I copy files to my computer, some which I may later transfer back to tivo to watch on my tv or I may put them on an ext hd to watch on my laptop. So I haven't had kmttg convert them automatically on transfer from .tivo to .mpg.

But now I'm wondering, do .mpg files transferred back to the tivo take any longer than the native .tivo files? And is there any significant loss of quality if I convert them to mpg initially and then transfer them back to the tivo?

6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Actually .mpg files are very slightly faster to transfer than .tivo files. No difference in quality. The only reason I'd consider keeping .tivo files is that they have the metadata built in to the file, which AFAIK isn't possible with MPEG program streams. But you can keep the metadata in a small text file alongside the .mpg instead.

7. Hcour

Hcour Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Great, that'll simplify things quite a bit.

8. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Is this still true or can Videoredo now open TiVo transport streams directly?

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Still true. You have to have TiVo Desktop installed because we use it to decrypt the .tivo file.

tivodecode is available for decrypting the old PS versions of .tivo files, but it doesn't work properly for TS so TiVo Desktop is the only option. Plus we couldn't include tivodecode in VRD anyway as it would run afoul of the DMCA and we'd likely get sued.

10. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    I have an old install file for Tivo Desktop 2.62. Will that work for Videoredo or would I need to purchase the current version as the free one is no longer available. Is there a partial install or specific DLLs that can be installed to accomplish this? I really have no use for Tivo Desktop, just whatever Videoredo needs for working with Transport Stream files.

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada