1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Window Bug

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jrock, Nov 16, 2013.

1. jrock

jrock New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Connecticut
    Does anyone have the Video Window turned off only to have it come back on randomly for you? I used to have the same problem with my TiVo Premiere where when doing stuff in the menus like searching for TV shows and working with the season passes where all of a sudden the Video Window would turn on. It would even show up in the settingn menu's where it never shows up. I would go into the settings to turn it off and it was already off so I would have to turn it on, go out, go back in and turn it off. It was really annoying.

Well it just happened on my new Roamio. All of a sudden the remote stopped responding and it seemed like it was froze then the video window popped on and the remote started working again. I went into the settings and it was off so had to do the whole on then off thing.

Is this a common bug or are my TiVo's haunted? I tried searching the forums but can't find anything else like it.

-Joe

2. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Irregardless of your setting, the 'slow' button toggles the video window when in the HD menus... You probably are occasionally pressing it by mistake, I know I do occasionally :)

3. jrock

jrock New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ahhh that's it. I had no idea!

4. Jan 9, 2015 #4 of 10
    RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Been happening to me too. Annoying. Video window off should mean video window off, not video window off unless one hits some button by accident.

5. Jan 9, 2015 #5 of 10
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Dec 2, 2007
    Northern VA

I like the current functionality. Just because you have a setting turned off, doesn't mean that you always want it off. There are times when you might want it turned on for a brief moment and you would then have to go all the way in the settings to get that done which is annoying. The ability to hit one button and turn on and off quickly works just fine.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Jan 9, 2015 #6 of 10
    RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    That makes having the setting at all meaningless doesn't it? It seems that all it does is set the state on reboot. And having the slow button toggle the state? Wow that's intuitive.

7. Jan 9, 2015 #7 of 10
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sometimes it is easier to document a bug as a feature rather than fix it.

8. Jan 9, 2015 #8 of 10
    RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    True. But having the function that brings up the window check the user's preference before proceeding should not only be simple but also good programming practice.

9. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Just went into settings and turned the video window on. The screen went blank except for the video window and the box refused to respond to any remote control button - i.e. the thing locked up tight. Had to do a power on reset to recover. Sigh.....

10. jth tv

jth tv Member

Nov 15, 2014
    I wish I could turn off the live window when perusing the Guide. Some commercials these days are downright gruesome. Am using pause instead, I have to find a part that's not so bad.