1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Problems with the Roamio Pro

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by BruceShultes, Aug 27, 2013.

1. BruceShultes

BruceShultes New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    I had a TiVo Premiere connected to my Panasonic TCP55ST60 Plasma TV through my Marantz NR1603 A/V Receiver via HDMI and both audio and video were working fine.

When I received my new TiVo Roamio Pro I unplugged the power and then moved each cable one by one from the Premiere to the Roamio Pro.

When I finished all the connections, I plugged the power cable back in and no video showed on the TV.

The green light on the front left of the Pro came on indicating that it was receiving power and the amber light just to the right of it blinks whenever I press a button on the remote so it appears to be receiving the IR/RF signal from the remote.

I have tried taking the HDMI cable out of the loop and running it directly from the Pro to the TV. I have also tried using component between the Pro and the TV. Neither of these methods shows any video either.

I have also tried pressing the resolution button on the back of the Pro, in case whatever the signal it puts out by default is one that my TV doesn't recognize. That doesn't work either.

Is there anything else I can try before I send it back for a refund?

2. BruceShultes

BruceShultes New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    I also should mention that the HDMI connection was so tight on the Pro that I had to force the HDMI cable in.

3. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    Have you tried the Component out from the Roamio to the TV for purposes of verifying a signal.

mds

4. BruceShultes

BruceShultes New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    That is the way I tried it. I figured it was wise to leave the A/V Receiver out of the loop until I got a signal working.

5. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    Missed that (too focused on the HDMI).

6. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Presuming you get video when you hook the Premiere back up then I think you've done all you can and the unit is simply defective.

7. SlappyMcgee

SlappyMcgee New Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Hello, long time lurker, decided to finally create an account to help out.

Did you by chance try flipping through your input selections on the TV? After you connected everything? Maybe after unplugging the premeire then connecting a new device your TV defaulted to input 1 or another input.

8. BruceShultes

BruceShultes New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    As expected, when I hook the Premiere back up everything seems to work fine again.

I may take the Pro to a relative's house to see whether it works for them before I send it back, but I suspect it is just a bad box.

9. BruceShultes

BruceShultes New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    Problem Identified:

I took the Pro to my local A/V store, where they do a lot of installation work and asked them to check out the box.

They said the pins are bent in the HDMI input port, but they could get it to work with component.

While I was talking to them, I realized that when I was trying it with Component, I didn't take out the HDMI cable first.

If either the HDMI cable was causing a short, or just preventing a signal to Component that explains why I was getting no video with both HDMI and Component connected.

I already ordered another Pro via Amazon. Now to decide whether I just use this one to replace one of my older Tivo's in another room on a TV that only has component inputs or just return it for a refund.

10. Big Boy Laroux

Big Boy Laroux New Member

Oct 10, 2006
    if it's busted, return/exchange it. No point in keeping a defective unit, even if you think you'll only use component.