1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very basic question

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Jayip54, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Jayip54

Jayip54 New Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Hi. I need some advice please. :confused:

We are renting an apartment for a few months as a transition home. We have basic Time Warner as part of the apartment pkg and no land line phone. My wife and I would like ot have some form of DVR for the few months we are here. When we get to the new place we are getting AT&T UVerse with their DVR. We are ok with non-HD and only one TV having it recorded.

Does it make sense to but a Series 1 or 2 TiVO on EBay and connect it to the existing cable box?

Do I need a land line phone to do this?

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Jay

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If you can find one with lifetime service - maybe - the quality will be pretty low and with some larger HD TVs some might find it unacceptable.
    No but without a phone line you need Internet access and for all the series 2 units except the dual tuner one you will need a USB to Ethernet adapter or a USB to wireless adapter (the Series 2 dual tuner has Ethernet built in). For Series 1 units you will need one that someone added a network card too.

Good Luck,

3. Jayip54

Jayip54 New Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Thanks. They gave us a 32" LCD so quality is not a huge issue. I was looking at a dual tuner one with lifetime svc, so I think I am good to go.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I have a 32" native 720P LCD TV, and for the most part, my Series 2 TiVo is passable. I have it connected to the satellite box and TV with S-video.

5. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    The dual tuners will only work on analog channels - e.g. basic cable. For anything digital the S2 will have to rely on an external set top device, which means only 1 active tuner.

6. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Why? U-Verse is a joke.

7. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Well, you don't say anywhere your location,( including your business site http://www.bluewaterprism.com/ . I always wondered how bricks and mortar establishments can stay in business without telling where on the earth they are located! )
    But if you are in Denver I will rent you a Tivo and then you won't be stuck with it later when you go with At&T.