1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verizon M-cards in Howard County, Maryland

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rvmeush, Sep 16, 2008.

1. rvmeush

rvmeush New Member

Dec 24, 2001
    Columbia, MD
    I had my Verizon cable card install today in my TivoHD. After having spoken with Verizon reps for weeks and being told that there were no M-cards available from Verizon, I was shocked when the installer showed up with an M-card. He told me that he thought I'd rather have it than two S-cards.

The install went pretty smoothly and there was no problem with pixelation. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it continues to work well.

2. webin

webin New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Hillsboro,...
    Good deal. Do you know what your billing rate will be on the card? Hopefully, they will keep it at $3.99 like it is for S-Cards, but my fear is they will charge more for it.

If they don't, I'm hoping to swap out my 2 s-cards for 1 m-card to save $4/month on my bill.

3. captkirk685

captkirk685 New Member

Nov 22, 2006
    Indiana
    I have 3 S cards for my 3 Tivo hd units and I only get charged $1.50/month for each card which I think is very reasonable. We used to have charter but avenuebroadband bought them out.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Won't they charge a hefty fee to swap out the cards? the last time I checked it would take me a couple of years of savings from the M-card cost($3.99 for one compared to $5.99 for two S-cards) to break even with the charge that FIOS was going to hit me with for messing around with the cable cards.

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Now if only the Series 3 would support them...

Anyway, great news going forward. I wonder how available they'll be, though.

6. webin

webin New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Hillsboro,...
    Yah, I was gonna mention that, but it was just making my post clustered with stuff that didn't really pertain to the focus (the price of M-Cards on Fios). Bottom line is I'd love to get one, but would need to run the financial numbers. $80 for the tech visit, a savings of $4/month (i pay 3.99 each), it would pay off in 20 months... not completely unreasonable, considering I will be using my tivohd and fios for... uhm.. let's say ever.

Although.... if one mysteriously "broke", it's possible I could get the service visit fee waived....

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    There's an idea...hmmm :D

8. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    Tase it bro! Bingo, instant dead card.

9. Scyber

Scyber Former ReplayTV User

Apr 25, 2002
    Nice I wonder if all markets have the m-cards now. Verizon has been rumored to have been testing them in some markets for a while now.

I just got a 2nd TivoHD and need VZ to come out to get me some cable cards. I took one of the cablecards out of my original one and put it in the new one. But now I have 2 single tuner units. With multiple units, M-cards could save me $8 per month.

I am also debating how to get a "repair".

10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I've seen some people see they got the installation fee waived. Others say they paid $25 instead of the outrageous $80.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I'd prefer to pay zero installation since i pay Verizon $270 a month for all four services I have with them.

Although I'd rather pay zero for the cable cards like I do with Comcast around here. that is the one advantage Comcast has around here, zero cost for the cable cards. When I had six cards with them I paid nothing, I still have two cable cards with Comcast and pay nothing.
    I pay $24 a month for the eight cable cards I have with FIOS.
    Of course the picture quality with FIOS is usually much, much better than Comcast.

12. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get an M-card on Monday when Verizon comes out to activate my FIOS TV. (Suspect I won't, but it doesn't hurt to hope)

13. Scyber

Apr 25, 2002

Be sure to update us when they do come out.

14. exdishguy

exdishguy New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    I just got installed yesterday in Upstate NY and none of the FIOS techs even knew what an M-Card is. I had to call billing and ask for a supervisor and have them credit my account to offset the cost of 6 S-Cards (I have three TiVos).

The whole install was a joke though. The guys that did it were just friggin' clueless. I had them put in the free HD PVR (Motorola) and the HDMI doesn't work on it (HDCP issues). The techs didn't understand the difference between analog, digital, resolutions, HDMI, HDCP , etc.

After 5 hours I threw them out once they had 4 of the 6 cards activated. I called Verizon today and activated the last 2 cards myself. So far so good - the picture is outstanding and I've had no pixelation issues. I hope it stays that way as I really don't want to deal with the "crack" tech team that was at my house yesterday anymore if I don't need to.

15. ourtivo

ourtivo New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Verizon did my TivoHD cable card install last week with two S-cards. The installers initiated the install from their laptops and can see the progress. It took about 20 minutes to activate both concurrently. Although, the first time only one of the two got all the channels, but second time through everything worked.

I was told the cost would be $3.99 per card, but haven't received my first bill to verify.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I'm glad they are still charging me $2.99 a card. $24 for eight cards is enough.

17. Scyber

Apr 25, 2002
    So what did you get?

18. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    As requested, here's a post install update. The Verizon tech brought out a pair of S-cards.
    Not unexpected, but I was hoping for an M-card.

That said, the install wasn't too painful. Including pulling a new coax cable, the whole thing took just under an hour.
    The tech had to call for confirmation on a couple of items* And there was some post-install confusion caused by the fact that Verizon had changed their FIOS lineup in my area in the last day or so and TiVo didn't have the new one yet. And additional confusion caused by the spurious 161-4 cable card error that Motorola cable cards apparently throw when initialized.

But hey, at least I've got HD TV now.

*(With just a TiVo HD you don't need a verizon set-top box. If you don't have a Verizon set-top box you don't need to run coax to the verizon supplied router [which I'm not using] to support VoD and On-Screen-Guide)

19. jrgtivo

jrgtivo Member

Mar 8, 2004
    What do you mean? Are you getting your cable cards for free?

20. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    This is a good error. It's a shame TiVo doesn't change the message to indicate it as such.