1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verizon FIOS routers......... automatically enabled for MOCA, yes or no?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by True Colors, Jan 19, 2014.

1. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    I have verion FIOS internet and cable TV service.

Last year i started digging into the possibility of establishing MOCA in my house.

At that time, the FIOS tech support person told me that the router that thry provided to me(one of their new models) had the capability of being a MOCA bridge..... HOWEVER, she also told me that it was not possible to enable the MOCA functionality in the router. Perhaps it would be possible to do so at some future date.

So my question is..... did this change? I have heard chatter recently that FIOS routers areautomatically configured to serve as moca bridges now...... so therefore, no need to have a separate device added to the network to be the moca bridge.

Can someone here with knowledge please comment on this.

Thanks,

TC

2. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Yes, the FIOS routers are already moca bridges.

Just connect the mini or Roamio do the coax cable and enjoy the connection!

3. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Clueless CSR story #6518
    Since Verizon uses MoCA in their DVRs, yes, it's enabled by default on their routers.
    The item that is on their routers but NOT enabled is the USB storage ports on the back.

4. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    The way I understand it, Verizon uses MoCA to transmit guide data to all of their set top boxes and DVRs. I had to get a low pass filter to block the MoCA signal because it would interfere with my cablecard tuners and disrupt reception of certain channels.

5. sangs

sangs Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    Would you mind explaining in a little more detail how this would manifest itself before you used the LPF?

6. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Reception on certain channels would either be non-existant or highly pixelated. This is something that apparently only affects the Ceton tuners on FIOS. Here's a link to the InfiniTV 4 installation instructions that identify the low pass filter requirement if using MoCA adapters:

http://www.cetoncorp.com/documents/InfiniTV 4 Detailed Installation Procedure v1.2.pdf

Look on page 3,paragraph 3, step 2, substep iii. I believe you need a 860 MHz low pass filter to eliminate the MoCA interference. I'll see which one I'm using when I go home for lunch. I bought mine from solidsignal.com, but you should probably be able to get one for free from Verizon if you request it.

7. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Okay, so just so I am understanding clearly........

In one room I currently have my Verizon router set up.

In a different room, I have a Tivo premier currently active.

Am I able to simply connect a MOCA adapter to the premier's ethernet port and then it is connected to the network? Thats it?

TC

8. sangs

sangs Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    You need to split the coax connection at that Tivo, connect one run to the MoCA adapter and the other to the Tivo, then the Ethernet from the adapter to the Tivo. I have one of mine setup like this and it works perfectly.