1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verizon FIOS Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by daneyul, Jun 24, 2006.

1. daneyul

daneyul New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Hi,

About to get Verizon Fiber Optic (FIOS), and am wondering if anyone has used it with TIVO yet--specifically, do the Verizon Set Top Boxes work with Serial to control the channels? Or must I resort to IR?

The DCT2500 is the model STB they use, which do have a DB9 serial connection, which would "physically" work with the TIVO serial---but, anyone actually try it with Verizon's system to ensure the ability is functional?

Thanks!

-Daniel

2. trainwrecka

trainwrecka New Member

May 30, 2006
    Dallas,...
    i just got FiOS as well and cannot STAND the HD-DVR it came with. it does have a lot of cool features - but it sucks compared to TiVo... someone help!

3. daneyul

daneyul New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    The DVR is truly inept--the remote control is a mess of buttons, the functions are horribly implemented. Not sure if I'm spoiled by TIVO or if it's just that bad...

Incidentally, every other aspect of FIOS is great--incredible speed for my internet connection (consistantly hitting the promised 15mb down, 2mb up) and a great choice of channels for a reasonable price (especially compared to our old cable provider here in Tampa).

For what its worth, although I said I was getting FIOS in my earlier post (didn't want to get bogged down in a long post) the real story is I already got it, with DVRs (not STBs), figuring I'd compare it with the TIVO boxes I've used for years.

After a week, I'm giving up and going back to TIVO. I plan to have Verizon switch out the DVR's (which DON'T have serial ports) and hoping the STB boxes can be controlled by that interface. I have in the meantime used the DVR's with the TIVO (basically, the DVR becomes just a Set Top Box) but controlling it via IR is horribly slow and inaccurate. The video is fine, all functions working, but chaning channels is slow and ugly with IR.

I'll get the STB replacements next week, and know for sure, but in the mean time I was looking for info on the Serial situation on those STBs.

Anyone try it??

-Daniel

4. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Verizon will be offering FIOS in my town within the next couple of months., I have heard good things about the service.

When Verizon installs this service, they bring a fiber optic line into the house. My question to people that already have FIOS is: After the fiber optic cable is in the house, then what? How is the signal delivered to each room, and each TV? Does Verizon replace all of the standard COAX cable and run Fiber Optic? Can FIOS be delivered through standard COAX to each room or to each Set top box?

5. gjustice

gjustice New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Wide Awake...
    The fiber runs from their can to a box on the side of your house caled the Optical Network Terminiator (ONT) which has "normal" connections inside (4 POTS lines, Ethernet, and Coax for TV).

All the wiring in your house looks like good old phone lines, CATV, and network.

You will get a wireless router (Dlink) to connect the Cat5 from the ONT to your network.

6. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    If I understand correctly:

-Current CAT 3 (phone wire) will be reconnected directly to the ONT via one of the 4 POTS connectors to provide Phone Service
    -Current COAX cable will be connected directly to the ONT via the COAX to provide TV service.
    -An ethernet (CAT5) cable will be added from the ONT into my home, then connected to a Verizon provided wireless router to connect to the internet service.

Can I use my existing wireless router, or do I need to use Verizon's?
    What about the rest of my wired network?

I currently have 4 CAT5e jacks around my house, which all lead to my home office. Once in my office they are connected to my wireless router which is connected to my cable modem. Obviously I will be replacing my cable modem with the FIOS internet service.

7. texasbrit

texasbrit New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Verizon want you to use their router because it has slightly modified firmware which is supposed to work better with the network. It is a d-link wireless g router with four wired ethernet ports. I actually use both my old wired and wireless routers along with the new Verizon one. The Verizon one is set up as the DHCP master and everything else gets an IP address from there. So I have two wireless networks in the house, using different channels. I have a large one-floor house and one router does not give good coverage everywhere so the Verizon router was a definite plus.

8. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Most of my applications are wired. I have a PC wired to the Router, 2 TiVo's also wired to the router. I do have a laptop with a wireless card, but I rarely use the wireless feature. Most of the time, I have the wireless set to "off" and only turn it "on" when I use my laptop. It is a bit of a pain to go to the Linksys configuration utility to switch on/off but it gives me peace of mind. Although I am running WPA in my residential neighborhood, I am still concerned about hackers etc. (I know this is a bit over the top, but after Credit Cards have been stolen and various reading this setup works for me).

1. As far as FIOS is concerned, what security protocol do they use (WEP or WPA, etc)?
    2. Do I need to have wireless or can I connect the Verizon router to my network via a wired connection?
    3. If many people in my neighborhood sign up for FIOS will too many wireless networks conflict with one another?

9. texasbrit

texasbrit New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    The connection from the router to the ONT network is wired of course. I think the d-link router wireless side is just WEP but if you use MAC address filtering it's about as secure as you can get, only the devices you specify are allowed access. I assume you have firewall protection on your pcs.
    The router also has four wired ports so I guess you could disable the wireless network like you do with Linksys and just use wired if you want to. There is unlikely to be conflict between wireless networks in a neighborhood - if there is a problem you can always change your network to a different channel.

10. gjustice

gjustice New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Wide Awake...
    The port on the ONT is the equivalent of the port on your cable modem.

Verizon requires you to "login" via PPOE in order to get an IP address, so the router must be capable of doing this if you want an always on connection.

The router is "included" in the price, and there's no discount if you don't use it, so...

11. NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Central Mass.
    MAC address filtering, like WEP, is extremely easy to break -- it's far from "about as secure as you can get". The only way to have a reasonable level of security on a WiFi network is to use WPA with a "well-chosen" encryption key. Unfortunately, in order to use WPA, all devices on the network must use it, and Tivo inexplicably doesn't support WPA, so using Tivo on a wireless network means you're stuck using non-secure "protection" like WEP. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

[I don't have FIOS myself, but I would be very surprised if the router Verizon supplies didn't support WPA.]

12. texasbrit

texasbrit New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I meant as secure as you can get using WEP.....

13. rexdiver

rexdiver New Member

Dec 8, 2002
    The router that FIOS installs is the DI-624 and it has WPA encryption.

-Rex

14. daneyul

daneyul New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Back to the original question: Has anyone tried the Serial Connection on the FIOS Set Top Box as a means of changing channels?

-Daniel

15. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    Daniel - When you get your new box and find out if the serial connection is an option with the FIOS standard set-top, please let us know. Thanks.

16. daneyul

daneyul New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    I certainly will...but it won't be until the 19th until they do it...almost 3 weeks!

I was hoping to get a heads up from someone before that...you'd think somebody out there would have tried it by now!

-Daniel

17. DeanErg

DeanErg New Member

Jul 8, 2006
    Daniel:
    I just got FIOS installed (Motorola QIP2500 STB) and it is making a mess of my Tivo connection. The serial connection will not work, and it traps my in a set-up deadend. Not sure what to do since I have no idea where my IR cable is.

Anyone else have any ideas?
    Deanerg

18. daneyul

daneyul New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Hi Dean,

That's bad! The serial connection doesn't work at all?

Right now, I have the DVRs (not the STB)--my IR cable works (mostly) but is slow in changing channels, and does miss occasionally if you go too fast. I had real hope that the STB would work (The DVR doesn't have the serial connection but the STB does).

Evidently, since the port is there, Verizon could just enable it to accept channel changing commands--from my crusing the web, some Providers have evidently done that by just sending a remote command to it.

Does yours seem completely dead in the water, channel-changing-wise, on the serial port?

You can pick up an IR cable over the web, or through the TIVO store for not much money, but if it works like it does on the DVR, don't expect it to be great. Serial is really the more reliable way to go as I understand it, and its much faster at changing the channels.

I'd suggest you call Verizon and try to get them to implement the feature on their serial port. That's what I'm going to do when I get my STB installed on the 19th, assuming it doesn't work (which based on your experience, I'm anticipating...)

Let me know any specifics you can on your setup, and what Verizon says about it if you call them--TIVO users who get FIOS should really hammer Verizon to update the port to allow the channel commands.

God knows their DVR's are unuseable for anyone who's been on TIVO...

-Daniel

19. DeanErg

DeanErg New Member

Jul 8, 2006
    Daniel:
    My serial port does not work at all, so I called Verizon. They confirmed that it is disabled, and does not work. They claimed that they could not turn it on, but I seriously doubt this. Everyone with FIOS should call and complain.

I did find an old IR cable, and hooked it up tonight. The joy of having Tivo again far outweighs the slow channel changing. I am going to keep calling Verizon and telling them that I need the serial port turned on. It is much faster and easier than the IR.

Who knows, maybe they will finally listen.

Anyone had success with Fios and getting the serial port enabled?

Rgds, Dean

20. Omg_tacos

Omg_tacos New Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Has anyone else beside Dean tested a FIOS box? I really want the service, but I'm holding out switching until I know if they plan to implement the serial control==I used to have a box that used IR and it was too slow to use. If anyone has any further info please post.

-AB-