1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verizon FiOS Network "Enhancements"

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by caughey, Mar 6, 2013.

1. caughey

caughey Member

May 26, 2007
    Orange County
    Did anyone else get this email?

Any ideas what it means? Are they transitioning to MPEG-4 on these channels?

I assume this optimistic footnote means their cablecard is compatible, but that my TiVoHD is probably not.

2. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ

Cox provides about 30 channels in H.264 (MPEG-4) and the Premieres work fine with that format, (after the May 2012 SW update), However the Series 3 and TiVoHD did not get a SW update and cannot display H.264 at this time. The TiVoHD probably could with a SW update, having another provider other than Cox now providing H.264 perhaps TiVo could be persuaded???
  3. NSPhillips

NSPhillips New Member

May 31, 2007
    I got a letter in the mail saying the same thing. But like you, I was annoyed at the lack of specifics. I have a premiere and a series 3 so I guess I will see.
  4. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    got that email too. Hope it isnt SDV. that would stink.
  5. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    This is an h.264 (mpeg4) transition. They're slowly phasing out 6xxx-series boxes for their newer boxes that can handle mpeg4.

Premieres are good to go. Series 3 boxes would need a software update to watch those channels but I doubt Tivo's going to update those anymore.
  6. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    The stupid question, what is the advantage of mpeg4? Is it lower bandwidth requirements due to higher compression rates? Licensing issues?
  7. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Typically, it's a bandwidth savings. Mpeg4 usually consumes about half the bandwidth of a mpeg2 encoded broadcast for a comparable picture quality.
  8. NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    I just got the e-mail too. I had a knot in my stomach that they were going to SDV. Having that stupid extra box before I dumped TWCNYC was a nightmare. I always had to reboot it.

I hope this isn't SDV.

It WOULD be awesome if there was some kind of small update for the HD/HDXL so these channels would be viewable. But that's probably the reason why they are trying to get people to upgrade to the Premieres, with some of those "lucrative" lifetime offers floating around.
  9. Joe3

Joe3 New Member

Dec 12, 2006
    If fido doesn't get his Pet.TV, I don't know what we'll do~
  10. lew

lew Active Member

Mar 12, 2002
    From the VZ website:

VZ wouldn't need to update their boxes for SDV.

We know the TivoHD boxes can handle some MP4 video.

Does anyone know if the TivoHD has the hardware to even handle the video?

A few stations are already MP4. Does anyone know the specs? Do they meet the requirements for "pushing" a video program to a TivoHD?
  11. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    The hardware is fine, AFAICT; the software won't cut it.

Only the Premiere is ready for these channels.
  12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    FiOS started broadcasting some MPEG4 channels last Spring. I think they have around a dozen of them now. They worked fine with my Premieres. They are Spanish channels and Sports game channels. I tested a few of the FiOS MPEG 4 channels out when they had baseball and hockey previews last year.

It's nice that they are finally going to switch some channels to MPEG4. I only wish they would switch more of them to free up even more space. And I hope that any new channels they add will also be using MPEG4.
  13. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    SDV would make no sense for FIOS, it doesn't really fit into the FTTH model.

That's awesome. Sounds like they are starting with a few junk channels and will slowly move to MPEG-4 so that they don't have the MPEG-2 boxes coming in one big flood to get swapped out.

So they will probably end up doing 4 MPEG-4 channels per QAM instead of 2 MPEG-2's? I so wish Comcast would do this so that they could go from 3 per QAM to 4 MPEG-4 per QAM and not have over-compressed channels.
  14. tlc

tlc New Member

May 29, 2002
    Before I got this email, I was considering buying an XL4 just to scratch an itch. (We have two HDs with Lifetime) Now I'm pissed.

I called to make a pitch for an upgrade deal. I knew there was little chance.

I was told it was Verizon's fault -- they changed things and made it MPEG4, which is true.

But if the cable provider can change things and Tivo wont help, it would be pretty silly for me to buy a couple of $800 boxes from Tivo, especially with the threat of FIOS switching to IPTV.

I can't even threaten their income stream. As a Lifetime customer, Tivo already has my money.

Anyone used a FIOS DVR lately?
  15. Gregor

Gregor Active Member

Feb 18, 2002
    My parents have a FIOS DVR and it mostly goes unused. They are not of the DVR generation, I guess.

I am OK with FIOS improving their network and obsoleting old gear. My Series 3s are getting on 6 and 7 yrs old, I guess. Nothing lasts forever. One is lifetime and one is on the $6.99/mo grandfathered clause. Have a few Series 4s on Lifetime.

The channels that are Mpeg4 aren't ones I watch. I'd be more upset if it were something I actually watch. If I can get a couple more years out of the S3s that'd be great.
  16. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    That's not the issue. Verizon is not obsoleting the boxes. TiVo is by refusing to roll out a patch to support MPEG-4.

I wonder if you can transfer an MPEG-4 recording from a Premiere to an S3? Probably not.
  17. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I can, and I get sound, but no picture. (This happens even with files that I'd previously pushed to the S3 as MP4s and had them work fine, when I pull them to the Premiere as transport streams and from there try to pull them to the S3.)
  18. am95

am95 New Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I take it with a S3 it's not possible to transfer MPEG-4 files to a PC to make them playable? Or can they not be stored on a S3 in the first place and it isn't just matter of not being able to play them?
  19. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    There is a post on Tivo's website that says they are sending down an update to S3 and S2 boxes for the certificate problem. Wouldn't it be cool, if they could add Tivo App enhancements and MPEG4 support to S3 at the same time.

I am sure someone inside Tivo had done this for their own equipment. They should 'share the love' :)
  20. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    Fixing the expired cookie (not certificate) problem is fairly simple in terms of code modifications. Adding MPEG4 support is a tad more difficult.