1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V53 and V58 Errors

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by HarperVision, Nov 25, 2013.

1. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    OK so let me get this straight. If I downgrade my Pro to a basic (yes I know the differences and its ok), I won't get anymore V58 errors because that's what I'm getting due to not being able to tune the extra 2 tuners on the plus/pro because of my crappy Cisco TA with old firmware. I will however still get the occasional V53 tuning error where it just fails to tune, right? I think I got that right, but now I'm just so damned confused I don't know which way is up anymore! :(

2. nws alpine

nws alpine New Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Well you can't use your cablecard with the basic so that may end that option. You can disable the tuners on the Pro until the fix rolls out early next year (guessing you are on Comcast).

3. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    Sorry, but that is totally wrong info.

The Roamio basic model is either ota (no cablecard inserted) or cable (cablecard inserted into the panel that opens on the bottom). So a cablecard totally does work with the basic 4 tuner model.

4. jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    So what's the difference between a Basic and a Pro w/ 2 tuners disabled? You'd think not much in terms of the software, right? I know that my TivoHD with only 2 tuners (and very old software) never has these issues. It seems the folks with 2 tuner premiers claim the same thing.

5. grey ghost

grey ghost Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Harper, I've got a Plus and was constantly getting v58 errors. I'm running a Comcast Cisco cablecard with 1.5.2 Fp1401 firmware. A week and a half ago, I downgraded to 5 tuners and have not experienced any problems since then. I hope this continues.

I'm still harassing Comcast about the firmware upgrade so that I can use all 6 tuners, but at least right now, I'm able to use my Tivo consistently and I'm not holding my breath every time I switch channels.

6. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Exactly my point. Why on earth would I want to pay the premium for the pro when I don't need moca, I can't stream hardly anything outside the home due to oceanic time warner and their wonderful copy protection on everything except locals, so I use a Slingbox and Vulkano like I always have. I checked my busiest night of recording and I think 4 tuners should suffice and I'm more of a watch and delete kinda guy, so huge storage isn't that big of a deal either. If it does become an issue I can always throw in a bigger drive though. Other than that, why would I pay $400+ more for the pro, when it seems like the basic now at $150 should suffice?

To top it off I'm seriously considering cutting the cord in the not too distant future and the basic with the OTA tuner may come in handy for that as well. I'm actually even considering trying the new dual tuner Simple.TV and dumping TiVo all together. I really think there's more than meets the eye under the surface with TiVo. It seems there's more strange issues and things going on that makes me feel real uneasy with them. I really wish MS would've kept WMC development going and would've matured that incredible solution further. Oh well.......

7. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    I use Cisco CC and TA as well. My FW is 1.5.3 fp0601. I've been downgraded to 5 tuners for months now, since Margret posted it. I still get black screens and V53 errors. I don't know about you, but I feel duped that I bought this 6 tuner Mercedes but am told I can only drive a 4 tuner Kia Rio for the time being while my nice car is in the shop for recall repairs that God knows may or may never be completely fixed! As I've said in numerous other posts, Ceton fixed the same issue for me in less than 24 hours!!!

8. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    If you can at least get Comcast to update your card to 2401, it would be a huge improvement using 4 tuners.

9. grey ghost

grey ghost Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Yea, I don't want a firmware upgrade until I can get the 1.5.3.1101 upgrade. At least this way, I can use 5 of my 6 tuners. I don't want to "upgrade" to 1.5.2.2401 and actually lose a tuner.

10. grey ghost

grey ghost Member

Feb 1, 2010
    I share your frustration about Comcast not upgrading firmware like they should. Your machine is still a Mercedes. The road it's on just doesn't allow it to go as fast as we would all like.

I'm with Comcast too, but I don't have to use/never had to use a TA. Is that only for certain systems?

11. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Thanks for the support! I'm on Oceanic Time Warner, not Comcast. Yes the TA is used for systems that have deployed switched digital video (SDV) to save bandwidth for digital channels while maintaining their old legacy analog channels for those still stuck in 1996. ;)

Basically it's a way for them to fit 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb sack.

12. JohnParks

JohnParks New Member

Sep 20, 2013
    I too have V58 issues using a Cisco TA and CC (1.5.2-Fp.2401) and a Roamo+, but am a Charter cable subscriber. Would deactivating a turner work for me? If so how does one go about doing that?

13. grey ghost

grey ghost Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Go to the linked thread and look at post #40
    Reduce # of tuners

14. JohnParks

JohnParks New Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Thanks for your for help Gray. The turner reduction didn't see to help. Haven't had any luck with Charter on cc firmware upgrade.

15. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Is that where you go in and delete TBS and TNT from your channel list? Oh no, that's right, the TiVo Roamio does that for you already whether you like it or not! :p

16. grey ghost

grey ghost Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Dawn, I'm currently using 5 tuners. Why would I "upgrade" to 2401 when I know that I would only get 4 tuners and it would not give me any more reliable Tivo service? Should I have turned my sarcasm meter on??

17. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    No sarcasm meter necessary :)

In PBC 2401 is just a lot more stable than 1401. I would rather have less tuners but better and more consistent tuning.

If you aren't having any tuning problems then stay at your current firmware. If you are having tuning troubles you could also try using 5 tuners on 2401. I never tried it, but it may work for you.

18. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Active Member

May 15, 2002
    You need to reboot after entering those codes.

19. barrett14

barrett14 New Member

Aug 20, 2013
    I have been getting V53 and V58 errors as well. Tivo is sending me a new box but based on what I am reading, I am not sure if that will fix it. I am using a Cisco cable card from Charter.

How do I disable tuners to see if this fixes it? What else can I do?

p.s. - Tivo is blaming the issue on my Signal Strength and SNR being too high... even though I have used attenuators to bring them down.

20. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Active Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    Post 13 above has a link to the thread where that's discussed.