1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V401 error

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by jmpage2, Mar 24, 2013.

1. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Today I was watching live TV on one of my Minis. I went into another room and attempted live TV viewing on that Mini and got an error that the only available tuner was in use so would I like to watch a recording instead.

That's when something "interesting" happened. I had scheduled a recording of a live program I had been watching on that same Mini the previous evening. I tried to play back that recording and the Mini threw error code V401 "there was a problem playing your recording".

Other recordings seemed to play back fine. Yet another TiVo Mini teething problem it seems. Rather annoying one too.

It would also be nice if TiVo gave the ability for us to "force" takeover of a tuner from another amino on the network.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That would be asking for trouble in some households.

3. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    With the introduction of the Mini, I think the whole "Profile" system that Tivo is supposedly been working on really needs to be released to have a true "Whole Home" system.

As part of this, such advanced options should be available like granting certain profiles "administrator" privileges. One such privilege would be overriding tuner-allocation.

The problem is that Tivo probably doesn't see the value in developing that for "enthusiasts" like us on this forum.

4. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Why? No Other Whole Home system has a profile system and they have no issues..

5. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    A marketing benefit. Those with whole home systems from their provider are generally indifferent to the features of the system, as long as it works when they want it to. A profile system would be a nice feature to differentiate Tivo from the MSO solutions.

6. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    The primary point of the thread was the V401 error. The inability to play back a recording on the Mini is more of a problem then the tuner allocation which is just a nuisance v

7. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    So the problem recording cannot be played back on the TiVo that created the recording either. The error there indicates that there was no signal on the tuner and that the recording as a result is no good.

My suspicion is that if you schedule an ad-hoc recording on your Mini, and the other tuners on the main TiVo are in use, you won't get an option to cancel one of the other recording (in my case it would almost definitely have just been TiVo recording suggestions), the Mini will act like the recording has started and the main TiVo will show the recording has been created, but the recording is null.

Hopefully someone else can confirm. It's a rather annoying bug.

8. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Still not sure I fully understand what steps led to your problem. From what I could gleam:
    * Host 4 tuner unit has 1 tuner dedicated to Mini for live TV, hence 3 tuners remaining for recordings.
    * Host 4 tuner unit was busy recording 3 shows when you decided to start a recording from the Mini on the channel that was currently being viewed as live TV.
    * Mini did not complain that there were no tuners available to schedule that recording and acted as though the recording started normally.
    * Entry for that "recording" shows up on Host unit but cannot be played.

Does that sum up the problem you ran into?

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    When I tested it I got a prompt telling me one of the other programs would be cancelled to start the one I was scheduling from the Mini.

It definitely did not pretend to record the title when the other tuners were already recording.

Here is what I posted on March 17th.

10. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    I don't know if the Host 4 tuner was busy or not, it's just my speculation to explain what happened.

Everything else you state is correct regarding what it was that happened.

I imagine others will stumble into this bug eventually.

11. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I'm not sure if error "there was a problem playing your recording" is Mini specific. I received it yesterday on my 2 tuner Premiere ( two 2 tuner Premiere & TivoHD household). I'm not sure why that happened.

12. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Perhaps, but it's never happened before, until I installed the Minis.

13. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Right. It's definitely a possibility. I'm just saying I received the error message yesterday and I've never seen it before either. I also do not have any Minis or 4 tuner boxes in the house.

14. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    When I tried this, as aaronwt posted, the Mini was aware of the fact all 3 tuners available for recordings were currently busy. I also tried scheduling recording of current live TV channel from Mini when Elite tuners were not busy and that went through and I was able to watch it as it was recording from the Mini. So I guess whatever the issue was may not be readily reproducible or we don't have the right sequence of events narrowed down to reproduce it.