1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Tivo Premier 4XL tuners with Mini?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by NoVa, Nov 16, 2012.

1. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    I am trying to escape the use of additional cable boxes in secondary bedrooms & was trying to see if the forthcoming Tivo Mini allows the use of the Premier 4XL individual tuners to watch live TV?

In other words, I would be essentially using 1 of the Premier 4XL's tuner to stream & control live TV in a secondary room via the Mini & also watch already recorded content off the hub that is the Premier 4XL.

Possible?

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Yep, that's the precise plan and purpose of the Mini... Stream live TV from a 4-tuner Tivo and recordings from any Premiere.

3. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    Thanks BigJimOutlaw for the confirm.

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If a tuner is allocated to the mini, then you can't use it to record. Your four tuner DVR becomes a three tuner DVR.

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    But there will supposedly, if the screenshots Megazone posted apply, be an option to allocate 0 tuners if you want (i.e. no live TV for the Mini).

6. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    Yes logically that will happen, so here's hoping there is truth to the speculation of a 5 or 6 tuner Tivo. :up:

7. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    At least in the demoed software it's not an on the fly thing. Obviously when you're actively watching live TV from another room the ties up a tuner. But in the initial software it's a config change (not on the fly) to assign a tuner to a mini; so if it can stream live TV you lose a tuner even if it's not currently being used for that :(

Hopefully they get dynamic tuner allocation (so you only use the tuner while actively watching live tv) working before the retail release of the mini.