1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Tivo HD without cablecard and unscrambled standard package

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sean33, Sep 25, 2013.

1. sean33

sean33 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I just moved to LA and I was planning on using OTA HD with my TiVo HD. For some reason I can't get a stable picture on any of the channels. I plugged my coaxial cable into my TV and I was getting all the normal broadcast channels in HD and extended cable in pretty horrible SD. I have TWC.

A couple questions:
    - Is there any solution to record HD channels with my TiVo without installing cablecards?
    - Anyone know if TWC always has free unscrambled local stations in HD or is it just a situation with my building? I don't want to set-up cable cards and have them turn off our whole building realizing the situation
    -If I plug my antenna and the coaxial cable even though I don't get a good signal does that change anything?

I'm going to test it but I wanted to see if anyone has any good suggestions.

2. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Have you scanned for clear QAM channels?

3. sean33

sean33 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    What are QAM channels?

4. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Free (if your paying for cable of course) digital channels most cable companies have mostly your local OTA's in HD and their subs. There is no guide data provided for them by tivo have to set up manual recording for them.

5. sean33

sean33 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    So I just ran through the guided set-up again with the antenna and cable option. It's only picking up the antenna channels I get, which are about 2. So I might be stuck without my Tivo for the next year or so since I'm not able to get a good antenna angle for OTA.

6. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
  7. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Is it possible that you mixed up when attaching the cable and antenna connections in setting up your tivo?

8. sean33

sean33 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah I know, I ran my TVFool but there isn't a position in the apt that gets all the channels. It's a ground floor unit with exposed walls to the North and West. .

9. sean33

sean33 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    No I've got them set up, I just don't get a good signal from the OTA. I was hoping that the TiVo would just accept the cable unscrambled without any issue and pull the channel lineup from the antenna.

10. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
  11. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
  12. sean33

sean33 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Can't the Tivo pull the channel guide from the antenna?

13. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It gets they guide data via its network connection,
    For Antenna channels you get via an antenna, yes, it will have guide data.
    If you're receiving your "local broadcast channels" via cable, those are "Clear QAM" and you will not get guide data for them, and no, there's no easy workaround.