1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using Premiere without Tivo service

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by tvmaster2, Apr 18, 2010.

1. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Is it possible to use the Premiere WITHOUT a TiVo license? Reason: what if I just wanted to use it for playing back shows I recorded with a different Tivo over my network? Is that possible?

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    No.

Service is required for network transfers.

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    TiVo doesn't make money on the sale -- historically, they've always lost money on the sale after accounting for distribution costs -- so they do not allow their boxes to be used without a service fee.

If TiVo allowed customers to use the box without a fee, while taking an average loss of around $100 per unit (as they did last year), then it wouldn't stay in business for long.

4. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Then maybe they could "expand" their horizons with a dumb playback model for other rooms in the house. I mean, with two Premiere units, you essentially have four tuners grabbing shows. Why not manufacture a cheap, non-pay unit that just accesses material from the Premiere's? If Moxi, Sage, Boxi can all make money off cheap hardware, then why can't Tivo?
    Don't get me wrong, tivo has the best interface, and we all love it. But if cable companies and these file-sharing boxes keep up their innovating, then I fear we may lose Tivo forever. Better they control my entire house than just a portion of it.

5. puckettcg

puckettcg New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    I have effectively always used at least one Tivo box as a dumb playback box. Until recently, it was one of my three SD units. But, now I'm using an S3 unit and I've more recently figured out how to use my Mac and AppleTV's as extenders. Its actually a pretty workable solution.

6. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Boxee is free software and D-Link is making the hardware, so I'm sure D-Link is making money on every box, and probably even paying Boxee for the SW licensing.
    Different model.

Maybe if Tivo could sell a box W/O needing service for a LOT more money AND never gave updates for it. but then everyone would complain about the cost.

You can't use XM w/o service can you?

7. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2006
    And there you go - you're using a competitor's product - a Mac/Apple TV. As I write this, on the right hand side of the page in the Tivo Community site, there are two ads, one for Roku and one for HP Media Server.
    Lost clients for Tivo from where I sit.

8. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    But neither the Roku and HP Media server can record TV (right?) so where is the competition for that??

9. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2006
    You can't use XM as a comparison. With XM, you're paying for a commercial free service, aren't you? With Tivo, you're paying to be able to skip commercials. And why would a box WITHOUT service have to cost a lot more money? Asus, Roku, HP all make file sharing boxes for $100. Why can't Tivo? The only catch is they'd only be able to access Tivo HD recording units.

10. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2006
    That's the whole point - I'm asking for a Tivo playback box that only interfaces with a Tivo recorder - does that make sense? Why would I possibly want four Premier's? That's eight tuners in one house - that's mental.

11. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    But for that Tivo would have to sell it for hundreds of dollars more than it is currently priced and I'm sure it would confused a lot of people too.

would YOU pay like $700 or whatever for one w/o the service that couldn't record TV?

12. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2006
    So Apple can make money on ONE Apple TV at $249?
    Or do they lose $249 and make it back on iTunes?
    What if you bought Apple TV and never used iTunes? I guess they'd lose all the money.
    Regardless - so if Tivo charges $299 for a Premiere, $100 per Premiere for annual service, and then sells a dumb box with a 10-hour drive for $199, I could see a house with one Premiere and four $199 units no sweat.
    It's obvious that Tivo needs to find a way to make back-end money on content somehow - buy Netflix - beats me. My Canadian Satellite DVR cost $399 to buy, and there is NO SERVICE FEE after purchase. And they don't charge a HD fee either (unlike cable) - Shaw Direct - check it out.

13. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I have no idea all the financials

but generally companies that sell HW at a loss make it up elsewhere

xbox and ps LOSE money on the hw sale. You could buy an xbox, use some of the features on it and never buy a game and they would LOSE money on you.

But w/ Tivo, if they sold a dummy box, how would they make any extra money? Game consoles have games, Apple has iTunes

14. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I think TiVo could make some money partnering up with LodgeNet and offering "still in theater" movies and other content.

15. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Moxi offers the Moxi mate to do just this very thing. Many of us have been asking TiVo to design in a DLNA server so that we can use available DLNA client boxes or TVs with DLNA built in to stream from the DVR. Se the many threads on this subject in the suggestion avenue forum. I agree that such a device could make a lot of sense for TiVo. In the Rogers interview Molly Wood kind of asked the question, or hinted at it, and Rogers seems to indicate that multiple TiVos with MRV was and is the plan going forward.

Now, if you have a PC, near your secondary TV sets you can use that now. Copy the shows to the PC using TiVo Desktop and play them on the TV using WMP. Better, use KMTTG to get the shows from the DVR automatically and transcode them, then play them on the TV using Windows Media Center.

Yes, I agreeTiVo is possibly missing a market by not selling a client box.

16. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I guess the question is this, and obviously Tivo is answering it one way.

Will they make more money by making and selling an expander box
    Will they make more money by selling less, but having a subscription for another box

If a cheaper expander box (with no subscription) was made it would make $x
    currently they make $y

they think that the market for $y is greater than the market for $x so they do it that way.

17. cranbers

cranbers New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Actually I frequently hear commercials on xm, nothing chaps the hide worse then listening to some dumb commercial for a service that you pay 14 dollars for. But I digress, you pay for cable tv just the same and get bombarded by commercials for every single show you watch.

Tivo does have that advantage for tv, broadband streaming shows etc as a one stop shop. The best feature is being able to watch a revision 3 show on your home tv, and its downloaded automatically when there is an update. That is all I used my HTPC for anyway.

Tivo is becoming the one stop shop, and with all those features, I am starting to feel the justification for the fee each month. Comcast wants 18 dollars a month for dvr functionality with HD ability, only advantage would be the on demand two-way.

So that was my justification to moving the s3hd to the bedroom and the premiere to the Home theater room.

18. haguea

haguea New Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    When I power up my TiVo it says I don't have ser4vice and asks if I want to connect to get it. I click on skip. The TiVo seems to work normally. It records, plays back, the guide works. Maybe this is because I had service and they turned it off? Maybe all of the data (except the guide) is old?

Ahhh! I just checked the status and it says - not activated - three days left. I guess it will die in three days.

19. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    If you don't have the Tivo service any longer, your guide data will soon run out and the Tivo will not work as expected.

20. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    TiVo is trying to keep subs up - adding a box that did not need a sub would clearly not help in that fight. I too think though that Moxi has a good idea in bundling a DVR and those boxes together. That way you sell a sub each time, of course, we will see bunches of threads on why can I not just buy the dumb client alone. :)

so basically we will not see a dumb client until subs are growing.