1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Philips DVRs wo subscription?

Discussion in 'Developers Corner' started by Georgeofthejungl, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Georgeofthejungl

Georgeofthejungl New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Surplus Computers is selling a couple Philips DVRs at

I had links in my post, but the site is not letting me do so but they are both at surpluscomputers dot com followed by /348535/philips-hdr-series-60gb-tivo.html and /348536/philips-hdr-series-80gb-tivo.html

It is claimed that these DVRs can be used wo TIVO service, and specifically referencing this site. Well, try as I might, I cannot find anything on these models on this site, nor anything that would give me guidance on whether I can use these without subscriptions, and if so, how.

I have never had a DVR, but would very much like to have one, especially if I can get a deal on one, although I cannot see paying a monthly fee to make it work. So the question is whether these can really be used without a subscription, and if so, how? And will it cost me anything to hack it? Oh, and how exactly do I do it? :cool:

Thanks for any help with this.

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Without service, they are only a manual recorder.
    You just set up and go. You may need to have TiVo set a record flag though. Send a PM to Tivojerry with the TSN of the box.

Hacking can cost as little or as much as you want.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    This doesn't belong in "HME Developers Corner".

4. Georgeofthejungl

Georgeofthejungl New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Well, help me out here, please. I have no clue where this post goes. I am new to not only Tivo but to this site and would really like to know if these DVRs will work for me without significant investment of time or money.