1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Knoppix distro to fsck a Tivo disk?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Doomster, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Doomster

Doomster Member

Nov 5, 2003
    I have a Tivo Series 2 SD-DVR40 receiver. I had a 320GB Western Digital disk in use for several years but recently the Tivo was getting stuck at the "Welcome Powering Up..." stage quite often.

I would reboot the Tivo but it consistently would show the symptom of being stuck at the "Welcome Powering Up..." again.

I thought it was possibly the power supply so I replaced the power supply but kept the disk. The problem still appeared so it wasn't the power supply and it's probably the hard drive.

I got a new hard drive and installed InstantCake but I want to save the old disk. I plugged the old hard drive into my PC and booted it up using a Knoppix Linux Live CD.

After I got it up though, I cannot run fsck on the drive because Knoppix cannot mount the device and Knoppix complains that there's no boot partition on the drive.

I read on this Forum that Knoppix was the only Linux distro that was able to interact with a Tivo hard drive.

How can I run fsck on the hard drive? Is there another Linux distro I have to use?

2. Stan Green

Stan Green New Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Did you find an answer to this question? I have the same issue.

3. Doomster

Doomster Member

Nov 5, 2003
    No PM responses Stan.

4. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    Try running a level 2 diagnostic on the drive with Spinrite version 6.