1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Hauppauge HD PVR 2 with Premiere XL4

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by AJ500, Jul 16, 2013.

1. AJ500

AJ500 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Cincinnati
    I'm attempting to use the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 with the XL4 and am not getting a component output signal from the XL4. My understanding from other posts that it's possible to have simultaneous HDMI and component output from the XL4. Is there some setting on the TiVo that I need to change? The TiVo is set to output all formats from 480i to 1080p.

My XL4 is connected directly to a Sony TV via HDMI and it's working fine. Its HDMI output is not going through the PVR 2. I suspect that the component output is missing though.

It's not a problem with the HD PVR 2 or its capture software because that works great if I connect the PVR 2 to component output on a different device.

Anyone got a set up like this?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I also have the HD PVR 2, though I use it with a DirecTV DVR. I found that I had to have the TV on in order to get the component signal - apparently just having the HDMI cable connected to the DVR was enough to blank the signal if the TV was off.

Steve

3. AJ500

AJ500 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Cincinnati
    I have tried it with and without the TV on, and still no component output. I also tried disconnecting the HDMI cable at the TV. There must be some configuration that will work since HDMI is not a TiVo requirement.

4. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Not exactly, I do have the XL4 Component out put connected to the TV in addition to HDMI and both appear to be active at the same time I can switch between them and both show connected. I don't know if selecting a different input may be signaling the TiVo that HDMI is inactive. What happens if you disconnect the HDMI connection, does the PVR 2 receive signal then?

5. AJ500

AJ500 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Cincinnati
    It's the cable!! Rather than use the component cable that came with the HD PVR 2, I used a shorter component cable that I already had. Not knowing anything else to try, I switched to the supplied cable. You guessed it. The component video from the TiVo to the PVR 2 is there now and capture is working. Wasted the afternoon. Grrrr!

6. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yeah, the cable they supply is long and huge. But it works.

7. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Yeah my wife tells me that all the time! :p:D:eek: