1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using an old Series2 with FiOS and digital converter box

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by kcarlile, Apr 22, 2012.

1. kcarlile

kcarlile New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    I have an original Series2 (ie, the 60 GB one) with a lifetime. Finally picked up a new Premiere XL, which works great with my FiOS cable card and my HDTV. However, I don't really need/want to pay $10/month for a full on set top box for my SD TV/Tivo S2 combo.

So I bought an iView 2000STB QAM digital tuner box from Amazon ($35). I've confirmed that it can in fact tune the OTA equivalent channels from FiOS, which is great, but I am having trouble making it work with the TiVo. Naturally, of course, the channel changing is the sticking point.

iView is not listed under cable box, of course, being a cheapo box. I also couldn't find it on the OTA section of guided setup, although I got some vague response out of it using different models of STB in the listing (ie, I got it to try to change the channel, but then it powered off the box!). I was partway through the OTA list when the TiVo crashed and I had to start over again.

So I'm not sure whether to tell the TiVo I've got cable or OTA when I'm using this box. Anyone tried this sort of thing? Any tips on the IR code thing? I haven't been able to find anything on iView's website (surprise).

Thanks,
    Ken

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Most digital converter boxes on sale are for OTA only.

3. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If the QAM channel numbers match the OTA channel numbers then I think you should run guided set up for OTA. If they don't match OTA, then you're probably not going to be able to get guide information on the S2. I don't think an S2 will tune to a channel that isn't in the guide information, so I don't think you could even do manual recordings and have the Tivo change the channel.

You'll have to get through guided set up once and then you can change the model of converter box without running guided set up again. Hopefully you can find one that has the same remote codes as the QAM box.

4. kcarlile

kcarlile New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    I was having enough trouble with the box that I ultimately decided to return it. Never could find a code, the box was slow as all get out, and it finally started putting a black box over half my TV. Something CC related, but I didn't feel like messing with it. Enough already... now I know to get rid of that $10/month charge, I'll have to pay more money.

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    FWIW, I can attest that the S2 can control both Fios' "Digital Adapter" ($4/mo.), and the SD STB ($6/mo.).

Thanks for pointing out the existence of the iView 2000STB.

6. rquist

rquist New Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Can the series 2 record 1 channel while watching another when using the set top box or the digital adapter?

Thanks

7. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    With FiOS? no
    assuming you have an S2 DT that is, Verizon offers no analog channels, they're all digital (at least in my experiences)

8. rquist

rquist New Member

Nov 19, 2004
  9. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If you've got an HDTV, then you could split the cable and run cable straight to the TV and watch the unencrypted channels using the tuner on the TV while the Tivo is recording. For the adapter, I think the first 2 are provided free of charge and subsequent adapters are around $3 per month. You could just hook up a second adapter to the TV to watch live TV while the Tivo is recording.