1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a cablecard with Tivo without a subscription..

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Fuqer, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Fuqer

Fuqer New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I have a Time Warner subscription and a cable DVR box downstairs.

Upstairs I am currently just using the coaxial cable and recieve 69 analog and 14 digital channels.

I would like to buy an older Tivo with cablecard support and use it without a Tivo subscription to be able to pick up the same HD channels as my cable DVR box that I have downstairs.

Everything that I have been told so far is that this is possible.

So, can I buy a used Tivo without a subscription such as the
    TiVo TCD652160 HD Digital Video Recorder for $70 from amazon?

and get a cablecard from time warner for $2.00 a month and recieve the same HD channels as my cable box downstairs without a Tivo subscription or a cable box upstairs?

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    No. The TiVo is useless without a subscription.

3. Fuqer

Fuqer New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    on all tivos are just that tivo?

A Time Warner chat rep told me that I did not need a Tivo subscription to use a cable card..

4. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    On all TiVos, except the very early S1 boxes.

You might be able to use it as a basic tuner, but you'll get nag screens every time you change the channel and none of the recording features or Guide data will work. So why bother?

5. Fuqer

Fuqer New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    That all I really want is to use it to recieve all my channels.

If the worst thing that happens is i get a nag screen when i change the channel, I could live with that as long as it only happens when i change the channel.

MY choices are..

buy a used Tivo for $70 and a rent a cable card for $2 a month from TW

or

pay Time Warner almost $20 a month for another cable box upstairs

I dont care about record features, i have a TW DVR box downstairs.

I just want to watch ESPN HD and Live sports upstairs,

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    YES, fuqer, you can do exactly what you want to do.

TiVo, TV your way ...even if it doesn't include a subscription

7. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    :rolleyes:
    Clearly it's not useless if it can be used as the OP intends. As I've already stated, it can be used that way to keep the OP's cable bill down.

8. Fuqer

Fuqer New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I thought on the Tivo Hd's but not Premiere's, that after 30 days is up and option appears to manual record shows.

I could buy a new one and use the 7 day trial to update everything before it ends, couldn't I?

But what if I buy a used one, will it still give me the option to record manually?

9. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I'll defer to scandia101 here as he seems to be the expert on unsubbed boxes. :rolleyes: All of mine have subscriptions so I'm only going off what I've read here on TCF.

10. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    No, that has never been the case.

You don't need a subscription to go through the guided setup to set the tivo up with your cable line up and to set up the cablecard or to get software updates.

No, because it's not an option on a non-sub'd tivo that you'll have to set up for your local cable line up (or OTA if that were the case).

11. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    :thumbsdown:
    Not an expert, just willing to give the OP the information that they are actually asking for.

12. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    If you are able to set it up without a subscription I would suggest the following:

1) Connect it to the network with phone or internet and run Guided Setup, saying you will install cablecards later.

2)At the end of Guided Setup disconnect the network, and leave it disconnected.

3)Install the cablecards and have them paired properly

If this works you will be able to use the Manual Record by Time&Channel.

I have been running a S2 TiVo this way (except for the cc part) for three years. The only problem is the time drifts by a few minutes each month.

13. Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    I ran across a thread the other day where someone said they had good luck fixing the clock by once a month or plugging it into the internet, connecting to TiVo and then pulling the network cable as soon as it set "Setting Clock."
    Seems kind of risky though.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=442404&

14. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    I don't think a non-DVR box costs $20/month with Time Warner. That's the price for a DVR. It would probably be closer to $7/month for an HD box from TW without DVR features. Check that out before bothering with a TiVo just to use its tuner.

15. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Has anyone mentioned that series 3 and 4 are the only TiVos that use cable cards, and that series 1 and 2 don't even have cable card slots?

16. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    No, because the OP is discussing getting a HD Tivo.

17. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    No, that won't work. In order to get the manual recording w/o a sub to work (if it even does on a S3 or S4) you must first have the tivo subscribed.

18. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Early on something was said about the Series 1s, and then the OP said something about getting a used TiVo for $70.

I doubted Series 3s, let alone 4s, would be going for $70, so it sounded like an earlier model was meant...which would mean 1 or 2, so no cable card slots.

19. Fuqer

Fuqer New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Yes, this was a TiVo HD from Amazon who were selling it at $215 but some of the used sellers had it for $60 + $10 shipping.

ww.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000RZDBM2/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1298747647&sr=1-13&condition=used-[/url]
    I have a guy telling me it is possible to manual record and I have saw other forum posts' confirming this.

I was told after the 7 day trial is up that it pops up a manual record option.

He said this was true for TivO HD's but he didn't think it worked with Premiere.

He suggested I buy a new one for the sole purpose of getting the 7 day trial and using that method.

He said I could maybe wipe the used Tivo clean when I get it and that would allow me to get the 7 day trial .

Recording is not that big of a deal, I just want to unscramble the QAM HD channels such as ESPN 2.

Yes , it cost $7.95 for a cable box and another $9.99 for the DVR service.

And would I still have to pay $2.00 for a cablecard?

I thought I asked Time Warner before and they I thought they said the box wont work without the DVR service.

Either or, at $8.00 a month at the very least, a used Tivo would pay for itself in less than 10 months perhaps.

20. Fuqer

Fuqer New Member

Feb 26, 2011