1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using 1 tivo with 2 different cable providers

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by swerver, Aug 29, 2013.

1. swerver

swerver Member

May 18, 2012
    Has anyone done this? My parents split time between homes in 2 states. The idea is, get a cable card from each provider (comcast and cox) and then just bring the tivo with when moving back and forth.

Swap the card and fire it up, no issues?
    Need to call to pair?
    Can't do it at all?

What say you? Thanks for the help tcf.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You'd need to rerun guided setup for each location and you'd need to repair the card each time. Would be a LOT easier just to get a TiVo for both locations.

3. swerver

swerver Member

May 18, 2012
    Thanks. When you do guided setup do you lose your recordings? I was thinking the different providers may set different copy flags, or have some other differences that may make recordings from one location not work at the other location.

4. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No you don't lose your recordings if you repeat GS. And once a recording is made it's keyed to the TiVo not the CableCARD so you'll be able to play them fine in either location.

However GS takes 20-30 minutes and getting a CableCARD paired can be a real PITA, so I still don't think this would be very fun to do. Although if they're only going back and forth once a year it may not be bad. If it's every other weekend it'll probably be a nightmare.

Have they considered getting DirecTV instead? I think DirecTV DVRs can be made portable so they'll work in multiple locations without having to be reset.

5. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    Repeating Guided Setup does not erase recordings or Season Pass/WishLists.

If using CableCards I would expect that repairing will be needed.

michael

Dan - for me the hassle of managing the billing on two boxes would outweigh the Guided Setup efforts. Besides I enjoy the pinwheel... I am getting sleepy...
    mds

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That's what lifetime is for. :)

7. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    Yeah -- Lifetime on 1 DVR ;)

8. WO312

WO312 Active Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    Would it be possible to have a hard drive set up for each location so all you would have to do is change the hard drive and CC? Is the CC pairing tied to the HD or the motherboard?

9. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    The level of effort seems to be increasing here - it is parents splitting time between locations. :)

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No. There is a discussion about this in the Roamio forum. Swapping the hard drive invalidates the pairing with the CableCARD even if you put the original drive back in.

Although in your case you're swapping the card and the drive at the same time, so it might work. You'd have to try it and let us know. :)

11. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    We know this is true for the Roamio, but has this been attempted with an earlier Tivo?
    From what I understand, it sounds like it would work, but only with the old ecosystem.
    Has this been proven false?

Edit: BTW, even if it worked, I think it would be more trouble than its worth.

12. WO312

WO312 Active Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    Given my experiences with CC pairing, I would much rather swap a HD and CC than try to get a CC paired over the phone.

Of course if they wanted to take their recordings with them, then this would not be a solution at all.

13. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    This drive swap would work with two different drives and two different CC BUT your recordings would not move with you and you would have to change drives for each move, that also somewhat PITA but not as much as running the guided setup with each move. Find a low cost TiVo on E-Bay with Lifetime, may be the simple solution.

14. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Can they get OTA reception at either site? If they can satellite might be the way to go. You would only need one account, just setup a dish at each location and move your satellite DVR. The down side is you might only get locals from one location (they may have an easy way to switch you location for locals so it might not even be an issue), which is why you may need OTA at one site, some of the older dual tuner satellite DVRs could also do OTA.

15. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    I'm not sure that is true. My understanding is that pairing locks the card to the box but it doesn't lock the box to the card. So you can't use the card in a different box, but you can use the box with a different card.

But I agree guided setup would be a problem.

16. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I agree.

When the TiVo is packed up and traveling, it can record anything. And isn't that why you have a TiVo? To actually record stuff?

17. swerver

swerver Member

May 18, 2012
    Agreed more trouble than it's worth.

18. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I agree about switching to DirecTV. You can change locations with no problems simply by taking the box with you and connecting it to the new dish. I don't know if DirecTV allows for electronic billing, but that would allow you to continue paying the monthly bills without having to deal with constant address changes. The bill shows up electronically in your bill payer account and you pay it online. Nothing ever gets sent to a street address. The only caveat is getting decent internet service every time you move.

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Does DirecTV require any sort of location check for local channels? If so that could be the only real problem

20. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Like I said in my post above about using satellite, getting locals in both locations might be an issue. What locals you can get are set by the stated location (zip code) of the home the satellite is setup at. With Dish they use spot beams so depending on how far away the second home was you might or might not be able to pickup the locals from your primary location at the second location.

Both companies do have electronic only billing, sell setups for RVs and have plans to allow your account and equipment to move with you if you move locations, so I am guessing it would be pretty easy to figure out how to make something like this work and they (the satellite companies) might even have ways setup for you to do this already.