1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used Premier vs Mini as a Roamio companion

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bradleys, Aug 28, 2013.

Mini or used Premier as a companion device?

1. Mini - I want the new UI on everything

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Premier - extra tuners with most of the benefits

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Depends - if I could get a good deal on a Premier I would consider it.

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Mix - I need several and I may get both.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I think people have an interesting option when choosing a companion device for their new Roamio TiVo.

They of course could select a TiVo Mini for $250 or purchase a used lifetime Premier for around $350.

Yes the premier has the slower UI, requires a cable card and probably won't get any of the new over the top applications.

But the Premiers have extra tuners, their own space, full TiVo app integration, and works well streaming in both directions.

I am not really asking if you would keep an existing Premier, I am asking if you would purposefully purchase a premier for a second or third TV.

What do you think? With the used Premier market, is this a viable option for you?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Unless you need extra tuners I'd still get a Mini. It's faster and will have better software support going forward. The only reason I'd substitute a Premiere is if I needed more then 6 tuners (unlikely) or I still needed access to analog or OTA.

3. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Crimper

Nov 3, 2002
    Twin...
    Depending on your provider, there may be additional monthly fees for Cablecards or "additional outlet" fees for something that receives cable directly. You could avoid those fees with a Mini.

4. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Where is the poll choice for a Premiere? I don't know what a "Premier" is, but it isn't a product TiVo ever sold. :p

5. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    I am so not concerned that I am willing to respond, but can't be bothered to hit the edit button and fix it! :cool:

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Since it is spelled incorrectly in your own signature, I really doubt you care at all.

7. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Nope