1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used Premier stats

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Time_Lord, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Last June (2012) I purchased a TiVo Premiere with lifetime service and about 2 weeks later I (not 100% sure why but I did) upgraded it with a 2TB drive.

The original activation date according to Tivo's web site was November 15, 2010 so the original owner had the unit for just under 2 years.

I just plugged the original 320GB drive into my home Linux system to get some stats on the original drive and what I found was interesting.

Total power on hours was 4030 hours or ~168 days (8760 hours in a year), the drive had 70 power cycle events, and 1 Raw Read Error, everything else was unremarkable.

Now about 14 days worth of those hours were mine plus several power cycle events (turned it on when I received it and probably a few when I duplicated the drive).

Well now I know why the previous owner sold the unit he obviously didn't use the unit much. I guess I'll never know what he reasoning was as to why he purchased it and why he stopped using it. Its obvious why he sold it.

-TL

2. Fofer

Fofer XenForo Rocks! TCF Club

Oct 29, 2000
    Whew, glad we got *that* sorted! :up:

3. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Crimper

Nov 3, 2002
    Twin...
    Interesting. How did you get the data? Are these usage numbers from the drive firmware?

4. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    You can look at the S.M.A.R.T. data and it shows everything. You would have to attach the drive to a computer and then use something like HDAT2 and boot the computer with. Lots of different programs to use on Ultimate Boot CD which is free.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Did you really manually repost that all those times?

Anyway, the version of Parted Magic on the UBCD has a program called Disk Health or something like that, it's one of the icons on the left, and it'll show all that S.M.A.R.T. data in easy to read form.

6. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    on linux (don't know about windows) you can simply use "smartctl" which uses "S.M.A.R.T." and yes the data is stored on the harddisk someplace.

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    It's very possible that the original owner had upgraded to a larger drive after using it for a while and then put the stock drive back in when he decided to sell it.