1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use Tivo with O/S Security Cameras

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by RusRus, Jun 9, 2013.

1. RusRus

RusRus New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Chula Vista, CA
    How would I hook up two security cameras to a Tivo Series One DVR? Would I be able to put in a large HDD and record continuously?

2. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
  3. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    I gave that some thought and then decided that spending a little bit of money ($120) got me a nice Samsung Security DVR with a 500 GB drive (you can get some w/o drives for cheaper still). That lets me hook up several cameras, store way more than a Tivo could, set motion detection, etc., and monitor/control everything via the internet.

4. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I'm always suspicious of using a commercial security system. Every time I see news reports on TV where they are looking for some guy caught on a DVR, the video or photo quality is so bad it is worthless or practically worthless. They must have systems with better quality, but why don't I see any of those better quality videos or pictures on news casts? My theory is that people opt for too many cameras feed into one DVR so the quality is too low for practical use.

5. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    It's the cameras, not the DVR. The cheap packaged cameras can be 400 lines or less, less than SD quality, and don't have the light range or auto-iris.

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It also has to do with how much linear tape footage or hard drive space one is willing to devote to how many minutes of video.

High-res, non time-lapse video consumes greater resources, i.e., many more bucks.