1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

use TiVo as music juke-box. Leave tv off?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by leiff, May 13, 2012.

1. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    can this be done either through my networked pc interface or through an android app on my WiFi tablet? My music resides on my pc. I have a s3 TiVo. I want to play my music through my TiVo without having to turn on my tv. I've used my s3 to access my mp3 music on my pc before using TiVo interface before so I know TiVo can do It. I'm hoping an alternate interface is available. Also, last I checked flac music wasn't supported. Is this still so?

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I'm not sure what you're asking. If your TiVo is connected to a separate audio system, then sure, you can start the music playing and then turn off the TV. If you want to play music without ever turning on the TV, then you're probably better off with a non-TiVo solution.

The TiVo's music player only accepts MP3. But pyTivo will transcode FLAC for you on the fly, as well as AAC, WMA, etc. I can't speak to other servers.

3. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    yes, I am asking for a solution that doesn't require tv to be turned on.

4. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    You can only use the RCA jacks to do this. As far as I know none of the TiVo use HDMI 4 ports. Part of the spec for HDMI 4 is the passing of sound without having to turn on the TV. I’m sure someone smarter then I am will jump in and correct me if I am wrong. :)

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
  6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Still a little unsure what you mean. I can start Pandora and then turn my TV off with a HDMI connection from my TiVo to an Onkeyo receiver without out any issues. If you are looking for a solution where you never have to turn the TV on I would guess you can do that if you have a Series 4 and are using an IOS or Android device to control it.

Good Luck,

7. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Or optical, that's what I use to connect my TiVo to my receiver (my old Pioneer doesn't have HDMI). Then I can start up my jukebox playlist and then off the TV and still listen to the audio on the outdoor speakers.

8. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    android app issnt supporting s3 then. Oh well. Wonder when s5 TiVo will come out?

9. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    The remote feature of the Android app should work with your S3.

10. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    works with my TiVo HD

11. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    My point about the remote was that you can't see where you're going without the TV on. The new network remote interface, which is only available on Series 4, allows for more direct actions (so it's less important to know where you are in the menus).

12. Jeff_DML

Jeff_DML Member

Mar 2, 2009
    I do the same thing, turn off my tv and I still get sound on my Onkyo receiver via HDMI from Pandora. I programmed my harmony with a new activity to do this. One thing that does not work is the 2nd zone playout of pandora, assume this is HDCP related.

13. bsmith1051

bsmith1051 Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Sounds like you want to setup a DLNA 'environment' but your Tivo wouldn't be a part of it.

If your home computer is Win7 then the built-in Windows Media Player is already acting as a DLNA server; otherwise there are lots of free apps you can install. You then need a DLNA media-player to act as the 'target' for playback. I recently bought a Sony SMP-N200 for $50 and connected it to my home stereo. Finally I downloaded a DLNA controller app (e.g. BubbleUPnP is my favorite) to my smartphone.

Now, I can browse my entire music library from my phone and send songs to the main stereo in my living room. Does this sound like what you're trying to accomplish?