1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use original Hard Drive as External Drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by AZTECF, Nov 18, 2012.

1. AZTECF

AZTECF New Member

Nov 7, 2012
    I'm upgrading the original hard drive in my premiere (45hr HD) to a new 2TB drive. Can I use the original drive for external storage for the Tivo?

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    1. You do not want to do that. You should put the original hard drive in storage just in case something happens to your upgraded hard drive.
    When that something does happen (and it will eventually), you'll have the original as a backup.

2. IIRC, once you upgrade the internal hard drive, the Tivo will no longer accept connecting an external.

3. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    As steve said, it's a bad idea for a variety of reasons. The other reason is that an external drive basically just adds a second possible point of failure. A failure in either drive will cause you to lose your recordings. It's not like sticking a USB drive on a PC where they are separate storage units. Tivo marries them together.

4. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    The Premiere won't accept the original 320gb drive as an external anyway. The drive needs to come from a WD DVR Expander for the TiVo to use it on a Premiere as an external. And as Steve said, once you upgrade to the 2TB, I don't think you can add an external.

Save the 320 as a backup. I just used mine today to resurrect a Premiere that had a failed drive.