1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use a Tivo slide remote with Windows Media Center

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mr.unnatural, Jun 13, 2012.

1. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I ran across this article on one of my HTPC forums that I thought might interest some of you. It shows you how to set up a Tivo slide remote for use with Windows Media Center.

http://thedigitalmediazone.com/2012/04/27/using-a-tivo-slide-remote-with-windows-media-center/

This looks like the perfect solution for reducing remote clutter on your coffee table if you're using Windows Media Center. If I wasn't using a Harmony One remote to control my HT setup I'd consider the slide remote. I currently use a Lenovo 5902 keyboard/trackball remote for the occasional typing chore in Windows or when I'm doing a search in Media Center.

2. luckem

luckem New Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Fishers, IN
    I would like to use my standard TiVo roamio remote to control my windows media center volume level. I however cannot find any codes that successfully work for this. Has anyone been able to do this (with a non-slide remote)?

3. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Normally, the volume control for Windows Media Center is whatever you use to control the volume on your AV receiver or preamp/processor. Try and program it for the actual sound device rather than the Windows volume control/

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The best part about using a PC is that they are infinately customizable. With a USB IR receiver and the proper software you can make them do anything. By default the Roamio remote uses RF for all the main TiVo buttons, but still uses IR for Power, Volume, Input and Mute. You can switch all the buttons to IR by holding TiVo+Red C for a few seconds. (The light blinks red in IR mode or amber in RF mode)

There is a popular product called flirc that allows you to learn any remote command and then map it to a function in MCE. You could just assign the volume buttons to some popular brand AV receiver and then use it to map thise commands to the internal volume of Windows if that's what you wanted.

https://flirc.tv/product/flirc/

5. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Nice. I hadn't heard of flirc before. Prior to using WMC I was using BeyondTV. Instead of using their Firefly remote I was using EventGhost with a USB-UIRT and a universal remote. The USB-UIRT is an IR receiver that works quite well, but it's a bit pricey ($50). EventGhost is a utility that lets you customize any remote for use with any PC app by capturing the IR command and allowing you to map it to any keyboard or mouse function.