1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USE 1 Tuning Adapter with 2 TiVos?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Teeps, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    As the title says:

Has anyone tried to connect 2 TiVos to 1 Tuning Adapter?

I'm thinking of splitting the incoming signal 3 ways:
    First split to a single tuning adapter
    Second split to first TiVo
    Third split to second TiVo

USB Hub connected to tuning adapter
    USB Hub connected to 2 TiVos

Any comments?

Additionally: both TiVos on home network via either net connection (not that this should matter.)

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    How will which TiVo know that it, and not the other TiVo, is the one the TA is talking to?

3. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I don't know.

I was thinking that all the tunning adapter is supposed to be doing is calling the headend device to switch on the requested channel. Once the channel is on it's on, right?

I guess what is not know is whether there is a continuous or continual communication between TiVo and tuning adapter, and the tuning adapter and headend device.

4. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Interesting question one does work on multiple tuners, so i guess if it did not work would be the tivos fault not it.

5. andyw715

andyw715 Active Member

Jul 31, 2007
    I think the TiVo tunes a channel, finds out its not currently available, asks the TA what frequency it's on. The TA asks the headend for the frequency and reputts back to the TiVo.

That is probably a simplistic explanation. Or maybe even incorrect. :)

Anyway it seems there must be some type of link between cable card and TA.

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The link between the cable card and the TA, in this case, is, I suspect, the TiVo and it's hardware and software.

And I'm not sure involving more than one TiVo and its cable card(s) in the conversation with the TA will be without problems and confusion.

Basically the OP is talking about turning the Universal Serial Bus into a parallel connection where one client device, the TA, is hooked to 2 hosts.

I'm sure USB wasn't designed to work that way, the question is whether you can get away with it anyway, and unless the guy who designed all that stuff drops by with an expert opinion, the question will have to be answered with an experiment.

An experiment for which I don't hold out a lot of hope.

7. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I may do the experiment in the future.

As for now, unless that USB design guru chimes in, this thread is dead...